Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Why does Eclipse search for metadata pertaing to non-existing project?(Troubls dividing workaspace into less parts)
Why does Eclipse search for metadata pertaing to non-existing project? [message #1698034] Wed, 10 June 2015 13:51 Go to next message
Michail Vokhm is currently offline Michail VokhmFriend
My sole workspace has grown too large and untidy, and I've tried to divide it manually into several less ones. I've made a few copies of the original worspace folder, then in each of the new workspaces I have left only a few projects and have removed all the mentions of the other projects (that do not live in the given workspace anymore). I mean subfolders in .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.projects and wherever else I'v found them, eg. .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.ltk.core.refactoring\.refactorings).

After that I have an issue. Eclipse opens a worspace and complains that it can not find metadata for a project that is removed from the workspace. Here is what it writes in the log:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 4 567 2015-06-10 16:44:14.117
!MESSAGE Workspace restored, but some problems occurred.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 4 567 2015-06-10 16:44:14.117
!MESSAGE Could not read metadata for 'EclipseSWTExamples'.
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException(F:/_misa/!--Ecl_Wss/TaskMan_WS/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.projects/EclipseSWTExamples/1.tree)

But the project "EclipseSWTExamples" does not exist any more, the workspace does not contain the project folder, neither it has corresponding subfolder in the ...resources\.projects.
Why has Eclipse stuck to this "EclipseSWTExamples"? Where does It take a link to it from? I have not found this word in the workspace at all, nor in the eclipse folder in the "program files".
Re: Why does Eclipse search for metadata pertaing to non-existing project? [message #1698069 is a reply to message #1698034] Wed, 10 June 2015 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

The metadata isn't meant to be user-handled, and it's organized around keeping data separated between the installed plug-ins, not according to the workspace layout. This particular file might have been properly removed if you'd deleted the project from the UI, or through the APIs for doing so, but that ship seems to have sailed.

If you want to replicate this in the future, I'd suggest exporting your preferences from the primary workspace (File->Export) and then importing them and the projects of interest (File->Import->Existing Projects into Workspace) into the new workspace(s).

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Why does Eclipse search for metadata pertaing to non-existing project? [message #1698095 is a reply to message #1698069] Thu, 11 June 2015 07:55 Go to previous message
Michail Vokhm is currently offline Michail VokhmFriend
Thank you! Yor explanation and suggestion confoms well with what I've undertood so far from my recent experiments. Now I see that to handle these folders manually was not a very good idea. Next time I'll try to be smarter.
Previous Topic:Unable to change colour theme in Luna
Next Topic:Proposal broke my Eclipse setup on Mavericks, and I can't seem to go back
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:47:40 GMT 2024