Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » How to disable the Preference Recorder
How to disable the Preference Recorder [message #1697881] Tue, 09 June 2015 10:38 Go to next message
Silvio Bierman is currently offline Silvio BiermanFriend
I have installed Eclipse Mars RC3 (on Ubuntu 15.04) manually by unpacking a tar.gz archive. Nonetheless I seem to have the Oomph functionality, part of which is the Preference Recorder.

I do not want this functionality and hate the prompting it does when I change preferences. My Eclipse Preferences shows a checkmark indicating the Preference Recorder is enabled but I can not disable it. The prompt does allow me to uncheck Preference Recorder activity but that does nothing noticeable.

Can I completely uninstall Oomph? If that is not possible, how can I disabe the Preference Recorder altogether?

Thanks very much in advance.

Silvio
Re: How to disable the Preference Recorder [message #1697933 is a reply to message #1697881] Tue, 09 June 2015 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Silvio,

Comments below.

On 09/06/2015 5:18 PM, Silvio Bierman wrote:
> I have installed Eclipse Mars RC3 (on Ubuntu 15.04) manually by
> unpacking a tar.gz archive. Nonetheless I seem to have the Oomph
> functionality, part of which is the Preference Recorder.
>
> I do not want this functionality and hate the prompting it does when I
> change preferences.
There are quite a few things in each package that I don't want...
> My Eclipse Preferences shows a checkmark indicating the Preference
> Recorder is enabled but I can not disable it.
That sounds like https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=469652
which is fixed. (And I think is only a problem if your user.setup
specified the default to be true; perhaps you used the questionnaire a
few months back.)
> The prompt does allow me to uncheck Preference Recorder activity but
> that does nothing noticeable.
>
> Can I completely uninstall Oomph? If that is not possible, how can I
> disabe the Preference Recorder altogether?
In RC4 you can disable it.

You really have no global preferences you want across all workspaces.
Pretty much everyone does. E.g., line numbers in editors... UTF-8 as
the default file encoding...
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Silvio
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How to disable the Preference Recorder [message #1697959 is a reply to message #1697933] Tue, 09 June 2015 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I don't. I do have preferences that may span workspaces but these preferences also span applications I use, machines I work on and so on.

Putting something as invasive and heavyweight as this in Eclipse for such a futile task (setting some preferences in workspaces I have about 2-3 at the same time and each of those for multiple years) I consider an extreme form of over-engineering. What was wrong with exporting and then importing the same preferences across workspaces? A much more powerful method that also works when I get a new laptop.

But it is good to know I can opt out of this in RC4.

Thank you.
Re: How to disable the Preference Recorder [message #1697981 is a reply to message #1697959] Wed, 10 June 2015 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silvio,

Comments below.

On 09/06/2015 11:09 PM, Silvio Bierman wrote:
> No, I don't. I do have preferences that may span workspaces but these
> preferences also span applications I use, machines I work on and so on.
I doubt that, but again, there's no point in preaching to those who
don't want to hear.
> Putting something as invasive and heavyweight as this in Eclipse for
> such a futile task (setting some preferences in workspaces I have
> about 2-3 at the same time and each of those for multiple years)
You certainly use heavyweight wording...
> I consider an extreme form of over-engineering.
We're all entitled to opinions.
> What was wrong with exporting and then importing the same preferences
> across workspaces?
Do you actually do that? I can enumerate a long list of what's wrong
with that. E.g., all my git clones remembered but Egit replace the ones
I have in my workspace. Kind of a disaster for me. But it sounds like
your limited use cases for it work fine for you.
> A much more powerful method that also works when I get a new laptop.
Perhaps, but many preferences refer to hard-coded locations that are
different on different machines.
>
> But it is good to know I can opt out of this in RC4.
We aim to please, but there's no pleasing everyone.
>
> Thank you.
>

Ed Merks
Re: How to disable the Preference Recorder [message #1698003 is a reply to message #1697981] Wed, 10 June 2015 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can accept that there are use-cases where something like the Preference Recorder might be useful and even an improvement over existing methods. I have little use for many workspaces at the same time (unless for the reason of testing Eclipse versions that need to convert a workspace into something that will not work with earlier versions) but that is because my company provides only a couple of standard products we work on for years in a row. I know others continously create new projects and possibly workspaces so there is no one-size-fits-all solution.

But why not implement such a thing as a plug-in? That way everyone who needs it can opt-in on the functionality or ignore it if they don't want it.

Anyway, seems like in RC4 the problem went away on its own. Perhaps because it is a plug-in now?
Re: How to disable the Preference Recorder [message #1698013 is a reply to message #1698003] Wed, 10 June 2015 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 10.06.2015 um 11:49 schrieb Silvio Bierman:
> I can accept that there are use-cases where something like the Preference Recorder might be useful and even an
> improvement over existing methods. I have little use for many workspaces at the same time (unless for the reason of
> testing Eclipse versions that need to convert a workspace into something that will not work with earlier versions) but
> that is because my company provides only a couple of standard products we work on for years in a row. I know others
> continously create new projects and possibly workspaces so there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
>
> But why not implement such a thing as a plug-in? That way everyone who needs it can opt-in on the functionality or
> ignore it if they don't want it.
Of course it's a plug-in and users can opt-in unless they use a product that contains this plug-in by default. The
products you can download from Eclipse's download pages are governed by the Eclipse Packaging project (EPP) and they've
decided to include our (the Oomph project's) plug-in in all their products.

> Anyway, seems like in RC4
Neither EPP nor Oomph have provided RC4 builds, yet. Our's will come today, EPP's on Friday.

> the problem went away on its own.
No, Ed has fixed https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=469652 as he pointed out in an earlier reply.

> Perhaps because it is a plug-in now?
Eclipse tools are always plug-ins.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: How to disable the Preference Recorder [message #1765188 is a reply to message #1698013] Wed, 07 June 2017 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saurabh pathare is currently offline saurabh pathareFriend
I am new to Oomph,I want to attach target file,code style and sonar lint into the installer so that I can get it preset in eclipse instance with my project from git.So please let me know how to do it?
Re: How to disable the Preference Recorder [message #1765218 is a reply to message #1765188] Wed, 07 June 2017 15:29 Go to previous message
I'm not sure how this is related to the thread you posted on...

Use Navigate -> Open Setup -> Parent Models -> Catalog Index and look at how other projects in the Eclipse Projects catalog have authored their setups. Refer to the information in https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Installer#Tutorials for basics and ask a specific questions after that (on a sensible thread related to your questions).

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:Using oomph's setup project model on a shared Install
Next Topic:Oomph target platform setup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:11:48 GMT 2024