Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Model Spy not working(nothing pops up, even for a simple application)
Model Spy not working [message #1697749] Mon, 08 June 2015 07:33 Go to next message
Erik Vande Velde is currently offline Erik Vande VeldeFriend
I'm following the directions on http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/Eclipse4LiveModelEditor/article.html,
but when I press Shift+Alt+F9 nothing happens. I tried it on a very simple E4 application and on our 'real application', but nothing gives. Two questions: (1) are there any screen shots availabe of what I should see (2) are there any alternative ways of showing the model if the key combination above doesn't work ?
Re: Model Spy not working [message #1697770 is a reply to message #1697749] Mon, 08 June 2015 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Did you add it to your product or did you just install it in the IDE?
Re: Model Spy not working [message #1697777 is a reply to message #1697770] Mon, 08 June 2015 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik Vande Velde is currently offline Erik Vande VeldeFriend
The 'vogela directives' say 'Warning Do not modify your product configuration file for this exercise. You should not include the model spy in your exported application as it is only a test and debug tool. It is not intended to be used by end users.' So instead of changing the product I changed the launch configuration, but I don't have a clue about what I should see. Currently I'm seeing nothing Wink. Probably it has to do with another vogela remark: 'Warning The code of the model spy adds this key binding to your application by modifying your application model at runtime. If you already defined key bindings this process might fail.' It doesn't say what you can do in such a scenario to make things work ...
Re: Model Spy not working [message #1702020 is a reply to message #1697777] Fri, 17 July 2015 14:16 Go to previous message
Paul Roubekas is currently offline Paul RoubekasFriend
Windows 7 SP1
MARS 4.5.0
Build id: 20150621-1200
Eclipse 4 - Model Spy (Incubation) 0.1.0.v20150714-0417 org.eclipse.e4.tools.model.spy.feature.feature.group Eclipse.org

One month later I am was reading a different article (http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2012/05/10/eclipse-4-final-sprint-part-1-the-e4-application-model/) by Jonas Helming but this issue is still the same. The Shift+Alt+F9 does nothing. I checked the hot key mappings and found the Shift+Alt+F9 combo listed as follows.

Name: Open a spy ()
Description: Open a spy in the E4 spy window
Binding: Open a spy in the E4 spy window
When: In Dialogs and Windows
Conflicts: (none listed)

Question 1) Being new to the Spy project, is this the correct forum? My search on the forums with the strings "e4ap, Eclipse4, Model Spy" only got this thread as a hit.
Question 2) Is there a bug report on this?
Question 3) Is the statementQuote:
"You should not include the model spy in your exported application as it is only a test and debug tool. It is not intended to be used by end users."
correct?

Oxygen 3a
Windows 10

[Updated on: Fri, 17 July 2015 14:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Luna release: casting problem
Next Topic:ClassCast Exception while casting IWorkBenchWindow to Application window
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:01:14 GMT 2024