Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » MissingObjectException after NAS failover
MissingObjectException after NAS failover [message #1697474] Thu, 04 June 2015 09:15 Go to next message
Gerard Soldevila is currently offline Gerard SoldevilaFriend
We have a system that uses GIT-based file storage in a NAS through CIFS, accessed through JGIT from a Java Application Server (crazy, I know)

To speed up things, we keep a reference to the "Repository" JGIT object, so that to access a given file we just do:

Repository r = ... // already existing instance in memory
ObjectLoader loader = r.open("<given_file_hash>");
InputStream is = loader.getInputStream();
Long size = loader.getSize();
repo.close();

The problem occurs upon NAS failover (some of the physical disks replaced).
This operation should be transparent from the Application standpoint, but after it happens, we start having errors of the form:

Quote:

org.eclipse.jgit.errors.MissingObjectException: Missing unknown 1bf28962a9e3495b57a4eb78b7fd2ba7f29783d5
at org.eclipse.jgit.internal.storage.file.WindowCursor.open(WindowCursor.java:148)
at org.eclipse.jgit.lib.ObjectDatabase.open(ObjectDatabase.java:177)
at org.eclipse.jgit.lib.ObjectDatabase.open(ObjectDatabase.java:147)
at org.eclipse.jgit.lib.Repository.open(Repository.java:250)

The reportedly missing unkown objects actually exist in the NAS (I checked manually through command line).
When we drop our reference to "Repository" object and we re-instantiate it, things get back to normal.

I would like to know if someone knows/can tell me why this is happening
Re: MissingObjectException after NAS failover [message #1713208 is a reply to message #1697474] Mon, 02 November 2015 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junyi Bei is currently offline Junyi BeiFriend
It happened to me a few times. Maybe the object is partially corrupted?

When you open the file with command line, does it show the whole file correctly?
Re: MissingObjectException after NAS failover [message #1713253 is a reply to message #1713208] Mon, 02 November 2015 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
When JGit hits an exception when accessing a pack file which it doesn't recognize and handle explicitly
it may decide to consider this pack corrupt and hence remove it from the pack list.
This may result in MissingObjectExceptions which should disappear if you recreate the Repository object.
Re: MissingObjectException after NAS failover [message #1714539 is a reply to message #1697474] Fri, 13 November 2015 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Junyi: Yes, from command line the whole file is displayed.
Also, after restarting the application server ... the file is correctly retrieved again.

@Matthias: I don't think we have any corrupt pack. Could it be a problem if we are simultaneously:

- adding files in GIT
- retrieving them with the aforementioned logic
Re: MissingObjectException after NAS failover [message #1715066 is a reply to message #1714539] Wed, 18 November 2015 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I said this can happen if JGit happens to see an unexpected exception when accessing packs which
it doesn't know and then it may erroneously assume the pack is corrupt and it will then remove it from
the pack list. If you could find out if there is such an exception we could improve JGit to handle also
your case.

See http://git.eclipse.org/c/jgit/jgit.git/tree/org.eclipse.jgit/src/org/eclipse/jgit/internal/storage/file/ObjectDirectory.java#n556
Re: MissingObjectException after NAS failover [message #1715104 is a reply to message #1715066] Thu, 19 November 2015 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks! Now I understood your answer a bit better.

Let us imagine the unexpected exception is an IOException due to filesystem access (network problem or contention problem).

Say one of the packs is removed from the pack list (erroneously considered corrupt). Is there something we can do to reset / rebuild this pack list?

Note that I upon detection of the "MissingObjectException" I am already trying to rebuild the Repository object, by doing:

Git.open(path).getRepository()

But so far the only solution seems to be JVM restart.

For information, we are using
org.eclipse.jgit-3.5.3.201412180710-r
Re: MissingObjectException after NAS failover [message #1716757 is a reply to message #1715104] Tue, 08 December 2015 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you close the repository so that its useCnt is 0 (Repository uses refcouting) ?
Did you unregister the repository from the RepositoryCache before trying to recreate the Repository instance ?
Re: MissingObjectException after NAS failover [message #1717634 is a reply to message #1716757] Tue, 15 December 2015 12:52 Go to previous message
I just noticed I am not closing the Repository object each time I use it!

Also, I do not call RepositoryCache explicitly, but rather call once the:

Git.open(path).getRepository()

and then store the Repository instance in my own cache. I don't know whether this logic uses the RepositoryCache behind the scenes.
Previous Topic:How to Rebase Continue in Mars?
Next Topic:up and running with example projects from the git remote repo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:34:41 GMT 2024