Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » Documentation tag not working for Property
Documentation tag not working for Property [message #1696828] Thu, 28 May 2015 20:46 Go to next message
Zoe Guillen is currently offline Zoe GuillenFriend
In the sapphire sample code, the Contact.java class has:
@Documentation( content = "This would be the help content for the category property." )

ValueProperty PROP_CATEGORY = new ValueProperty( TYPE, "Category" );

But I don't see that help content anywhere when editing a contacts.xml file via the sapphire editor. I don't see a help icon next to the category field in the UI.

I would like to associated help text with a property, not a section. It appears that is what is intended with the Category property of the Contact object, but either its not working or I don't know where to look for the help text.

Does anyone know where help text shows up for a property? Or does anyone see the help text for the category property in the sample code?

Thanks!
Zoe
Re: Documentation tag not working for Property [message #1696950 is a reply to message #1696828] Fri, 29 May 2015 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
To view documentation for a property, place focus on the corresponding property editor and press F1.
Re: Documentation tag not working for Property [message #1697118 is a reply to message #1696950] Mon, 01 June 2015 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you so much Konstantin for the quick reply! That indeed showed the help text I was looking for.

I am just loving Sapphire but just getting started with using it. Our model is quite complex so using Sapphire is going to save us a ton of time!

Although I see the word "help" on my keyboard's F1 button, this is the first time I have ever noticed it, and first time I've ever used it. Is there a way to configure a property's help so that the help icon (question mark inside a circle) shows up near the property? I'm afraid that no one will know that they need to click on the property editor and then hit the F1 button in order to see the help. Or would you suggest another way to provide help on a per property basis? Our model already has documentation for every property so we would like to use it. The only other option I can think of is to group the properties into sections (was going to do this anyway) and associate help with the sections, then listing all of the properties' help text there. The problem with this approach is that if we ever modify a section (add/remove a property) we'll have to remember to edit the section's help text as well.

Thanks again for your help!
Re: Documentation tag not working for Property [message #1697418 is a reply to message #1697118] Wed, 03 June 2015 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F1 is the standard key for getting at context sensitive help in Eclipse and other applications, but if you want a help button on every field, you will need to implement a custom action and a handler to do that. These can be registered in your plugin. Take a look in org.eclipse.sapphire.ui plugin to see how existing help buttons are implemented. Start in META-INF/sapphire-extension.xml and search for "Sapphire.Help".
Re: Documentation tag not working for Property [message #1702030 is a reply to message #1697418] Fri, 17 July 2015 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Konstantin,

We just realized that the standard F1 key for help is not working for macs. We've tried a number of different key combinations, even this proposed solution on stackoverflow (copy into search "shortcut-key-for-context-sensitive-help-for-eclipse-in-mac-os-x") did not work. [Since I don't have many posts, this forum won't let me post the direct link, sorry]. Is there another way to view sapphire defined help (i.e. @Documentation annotation on a property) on macs?

Thanks,
Zoe
Re: Documentation tag not working for Property [message #1702047 is a reply to message #1702030] Fri, 17 July 2015 20:49 Go to previous message
Sapphire context help is wired into the same activation mechanism as context help for other fields. I don't have a Mac, so I can't take a look to see what it takes to activate context help on a Mac, but I've asked a colleague to look into this.
Previous Topic:Future releases
Next Topic:Drag and Drop support for a list of string items
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:12:55 GMT 2024