Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Contribute perspective to IDE (MARS M7)(Unable to contribute a perspective via model fragment to IDE)
Contribute perspective to IDE (MARS M7) [message #1695191] Tue, 12 May 2015 14:35 Go to next message
Stefan Wiese is currently offline Stefan WieseFriend
Hello, I'm trying to contribute a perspective via a model fragment to the Eclipse IDE. This does not work. I contribute to id "org.eclipse.ui.ide.perspectivestack" with feature name "children" and have a Perspective with a PartSashContainter and some Parts defined. After starting an Eclipse application the expected perspective is not there.
This should be solved with https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=376486, but seems not. I also tried to contribute a Menu to "org.eclipse.ui.main.menu", but the menu does not appear.
What the hell am I doing wrong?

For this to test I am using Mars M7.
A demo project is attached.

I searched a lot of forums and googled but did not found a working solution. I think this is a very common requirement for developers to be able to contribute their pure E4 plugins to the IDE.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Contribute perspective to IDE (MARS M7) [message #1695273 is a reply to message #1695191] Wed, 13 May 2015 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Loic Faure is currently offline Loic FaureFriend
Hi,

For the perspective, you are not contributing to the correct element.
The element id is org.eclipse.e4.legacy.ide.application.
The feature name is snippets.
With this modification, the perspective is correctly added.

In the attachment, i changed this so you can run it and see the differencies.

I also added a contribution to org.eclipse.ui.main.menu with a menu and a menu item in it with it command and it handler.

Re: Contribute perspective to IDE (MARS M7) [message #1695277 is a reply to message #1695273] Wed, 13 May 2015 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Wiese is currently offline Stefan WieseFriend
Many thanks for your quick reply! It works like a charm!
Is this somewhere documented officially?
Re: Contribute perspective to IDE (MARS M7) [message #1695297 is a reply to message #1695277] Wed, 13 May 2015 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Currently, there is some tutorials here http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/eclipse.html made by Lars Vogel which explain how to build your proper E4 app without IDE, but contributing tho the IDE is approximatively the same, you just need to change the element ID. For finding element ID, use the model spy with Alt + Shift + F9.
In this page http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php?title=Special:PrefixIndex&from=E4&namespace=0 you will find some documentation about E4. I let you search what you need.

If you have another question, feel free to ask.
Re: Contribute perspective to IDE (MARS M7) [message #1695633 is a reply to message #1695297] Mon, 18 May 2015 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M Jääskeläinen is currently offline M JääskeläinenFriend
I tried to open this fragment.e4xmi in Eclipse Luna editor, but it does not open in "Form" tab, only in List. What could be the reason? Is there so version incompatibilities?
Re: Contribute perspective to IDE (MARS M7) [message #1695657 is a reply to message #1695633] Mon, 18 May 2015 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used Luna for building this fragment.e4xmi so it can't have incompabilities, what could be possible is that you don't have E4 tools installed in your luna, check this http://download.eclipse.org/e4/downloads/drops/S-0.17-201501051100/index.html for installing it
Re: Contribute perspective to IDE (MARS M7) [message #1695774 is a reply to message #1695657] Tue, 19 May 2015 08:44 Go to previous message
M Jääskeläinen is currently offline M JääskeläinenFriend
Yes, there was something wrong with my installation, I have e4 tools installed, but obviously I'm was missing something else. I upgraded my Eclipse and then fragment.e4xmi was just opening empty white page. I reinstalled Eclipse and I got this Form editor working. Thanks!
Previous Topic:create a part from a PartDescriptor before the Window is shown
Next Topic:Share Objects with MApplication.getContext()
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:31:37 GMT 2024