Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Exporting UML from Papyrus to other Tools like EA
Exporting UML from Papyrus to other Tools like EA [message #1695188] Tue, 12 May 2015 14:34 Go to next message
Frank W. is currently offline Frank W.Friend
Hi,

I wanted to use my diagrams that I created in Papyrus in Enterprise Architect as well.
As I understood it, I could just use the *.notation file, I renamed it to XMI (it seems to be XMI 2.0) and I tried to import it into Enterprise Architect.

It did not work, but I found no other way to export the model.
I am also wondering if some information from the .uml are missing.

I would be interested in how you manage this process?

-Frank
Re: Exporting UML from Papyrus to other Tools like EA [message #1695193 is a reply to message #1695188] Tue, 12 May 2015 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Frank,

Only the *.uml part of the Papyrus Model is (almost) normative/standard. The *.notation is entirely specific to Papyrus

The *.uml file contains the semantic model (Almost-standard UML XMI), while the *.notation file contains the diagram visualization (Not standardized, yet)

Renaming *.uml to *.xmi is almost sufficient to read the file in XMI-compatible tools. The only non-standard entry is the UML Metamodel URI, which is http://www.eclipse.org/uml2/5.0.0/UML instead of the standard http://www.omg.org/spec/UML/xxxxxxxx, declared in the XML Namespace at the beginning of any *.uml file in Papyrus

HTH,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Exporting UML from Papyrus to other Tools like EA [message #1696097 is a reply to message #1695193] Thu, 21 May 2015 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank W. is currently offline Frank W.Friend
It seems the xmi models have a fundamentally different structure and naming in both tools. And that some synchronisation needs more work. The information in the .notation seems to get lost.

Has anyone successfully made such an import / export?
Re: Exporting UML from Papyrus to other Tools like EA [message #1696099 is a reply to message #1696097] Thu, 21 May 2015 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You seem to be tying to do Diagram Interchange which is what the UMLDI
specification supports.

The GMF notation model was a very strong influence/prototype for UMLDI
so Papyrus is closer than most, but until you get two tools supporting
UMLDI you will not be able to interchange diagrams.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 21/05/2015 17:31, Frank W. wrote:
> It seems the xmi models have a fundamentally different structure and
> naming in both tools. And that some synchronisation needs more work.
> The information in the .notation seems to get lost.
>
> Has anyone successfully made such an import / export?
Re: Exporting UML from Papyrus to other Tools like EA [message #1696132 is a reply to message #1696099] Fri, 22 May 2015 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Frank,

For most tools, the UML XMI can be interchanged with small effort (You basically just need to change the file extension to UML and the Namespace URI to the one used by Papyrus, i.e. http://www.eclipse.org/uml2/5.0.0/UML). Eclipse/UML is more flexible than Papyrus in this regard, and should be able to open most UML files directly (Without changing file extension or Namespace URI)

Currently, UMLDI is not supported by any tool, so there is no free interchange of diagrams: you need an ad-hoc transformation. Papyrus already provides one for importing RSA models (Including most diagram types), but other tools are not supported yet.

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Exporting UML from Papyrus to other Tools like EA [message #1700737 is a reply to message #1696132] Mon, 06 July 2015 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Schumacher is currently offline Rolf SchumacherFriend
I have similar task: getting the stereotypes defined in Papyrus (or the whole profile model) to EA. On import I get the message from EA "Unknown XMI Exporter or Version".
By searching the internet I came accross this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8RTC3qLSs, now waiting for an answer whether this is appropriate for my task.
I also came here and understand it should work, when I am doing a UML model but fails with a profile. Right?

Any comment welcome.
Re: Exporting UML from Papyrus to other Tools like EA [message #1701218 is a reply to message #1695188] Fri, 10 July 2015 01:22 Go to previous message
Young Seok Park is currently offline Young Seok ParkFriend
Hi,

Since the original post is several years old, I was wondering if there has been any updates on Papyrus or any solutions in completing this task.

I have also looked at the ModelBus, but apparently, their adapter to EA is on commercial license.

Enterprise Architect has v.12 out which seems to accept a lot of different formats, but Papyrus still only exports diagrams into image files. I might have to look for a plugin which allows me to export Papyrus projects into different format, but this requires selecting a plugin with reliability and sustained support.

Wondering if anyone was successful in doing this interchange. Please share your experience! At the end, I might have to convert the files myself, but there is very little information on how Papyrus "formats" their files.
Previous Topic:Convert Ecore models to UML programmatically
Next Topic:Papyrus 1.1 and customized requirements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:06:52 GMT 2024