Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » Terrible scrolling and typing performance on Kubuntu 15.04
Terrible scrolling and typing performance on Kubuntu 15.04 [message #1693951] Wed, 29 April 2015 12:53 Go to next message
Emond Papegaaij is currently offline Emond PapegaaijFriend
Hi,

After upgrading my system from Kubuntu 14.10 to 15.04, I'm having issues with scrolling and typing being unbelievably slow in Eclipse. When slow, an editor in Eclipse only scrolls about 1 line per second and typed characters appear in about the same rate. Luckily, this only happens once or twice per hour, and switching between applications (ALT-Tab) seems to fix the issue most of the time. Eclipse seems to be the only application effected by this issue, other applications run fine.

I performed quite some debugging trying to find the cause of this. I suspect it is related to the NVidia driver, with Eclipse running on an external 4k screen. The problems do not occur when the 4k display is disconnected and Eclipse is running on the 3k laptop screen. Nevertheless, only Eclipse is having issues on this 4k screen, so it must also be something specific to Eclipse.

I've attached Yourkit to collect some profiling statistics, but it seems this part is not recorded in the profiler, as I could not find anything related to the display in the profiling output.

After some experimentation in Eclipse, I found out that only the part in which the cursor is shown is slow. I can scroll fine through a very large file, but as soon as I reach the cursor, scrolling almost comes to a halt. The settings related to the cursor in the editors did not make any difference.

At the moment I'm at a loss to what is causing this, and am out of options on how to fix it. What could be causing this strange behavior? Is there anything else I might try?

Best regards,
Emond Papegaaij
Re: Terrible scrolling and typing performance on Kubuntu 15.04 [message #1693981 is a reply to message #1693951] Wed, 29 April 2015 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
You haven't said what version of Eclipse you're testing. Could you try downloading an recent SDK build of Eclipse to see if the performance is improved?

http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/I20150428-2000/

If not, please open a bug and describe some steps in detail:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Platform&component=SWT&version=4.5&short_desc=[performance]

Brian.

Re: Terrible scrolling and typing performance on Kubuntu 15.04 [message #1694042 is a reply to message #1693981] Thu, 30 April 2015 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using Eclipse 4.4 SR2. It seems, I'm not the only one with this problem:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=434898
top shows 100% cpu usage for X when Eclipse is scrolling slow, but not for the Eclipse java process.

Unfortunately, I cannot try a recent 4.5 build, because it is unable to build my workspace:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: info cannot be null
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.codegen.StackMapFrame.addStackItem(StackMapFrame.java:81)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ClassFile.traverse(ClassFile.java:5573)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ClassFile.generateStackMapTableAttribute(ClassFile.java:4332)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ClassFile.completeCodeAttribute(ClassFile.java:1387)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.AbstractMethodDeclaration.generateCode(AbstractMethodDeclaration.java:357)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.AbstractMethodDeclaration.generateCode(AbstractMethodDeclaration.java:281)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeDeclaration.generateCode(TypeDeclaration.java:567)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeDeclaration.generateCode(TypeDeclaration.java:636)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.CompilationUnitDeclaration.generateCode(CompilationUnitDeclaration.java:368)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.resolve(Compiler.java:1028)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.resolve(Compiler.java:1067)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CompilationUnitProblemFinder.process(CompilationUnitProblemFinder.java:205)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CompilationUnitProblemFinder.process(CompilationUnitProblemFinder.java:271)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.ReconcileWorkingCopyOperation.makeConsistent(ReconcileWorkingCopyOperation.java:191)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.ReconcileWorkingCopyOperation.executeOperation(ReconcileWorkingCopyOperation.java:90)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.run(JavaModelOperation.java:729)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.runOperation(JavaModelOperation.java:789)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CompilationUnit.reconcile(CompilationUnit.java:1250)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:126)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy.access$0(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:108)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy$1.run(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:89)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:87)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.JavaReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(JavaReconcilingStrategy.java:151)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.CompositeReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(CompositeReconcilingStrategy.java:86)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.JavaCompositeReconcilingStrategy.reconcile(JavaCompositeReconcilingStrategy.java:104)
at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.MonoReconciler.process(MonoReconciler.java:77)
at org.eclipse.jface.text.reconciler.AbstractReconciler$BackgroundThread.run(AbstractReconciler.java:206)

This stacktrace has been reported several times before, on various versions of Eclipse, and all are fixed. Apparently, it popped up again. I'll see if I can create a testcase for this and report a bug.

Best regards,
Emond
Re: Terrible scrolling and typing performance on Kubuntu 15.04 [message #1694058 is a reply to message #1694042] Thu, 30 April 2015 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the record, I've reported the internal compiler error at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=465900
Re: Terrible scrolling and typing performance on Kubuntu 15.04 [message #1694597 is a reply to message #1694058] Wed, 06 May 2015 14:16 Go to previous message
After some more testing, I found that the problem is related to Google Chrome. Scrolling and typing is only slow when Chrome is open on the same screen as the Eclipse editor is on. I've got Eclipse split across 2 screens, with the editor on the 4k screen and the console on my laptop screen. When I place Chrome on the 4k screen (even if it's behind Eclipse), scrolling is slow, when I move it to the laptop's screen, or my 3rd screen, scrolling is fast. When I switch the eclipse editor and console windows (so the editor is now on my laptop's screen), scrolling is only slow when Chrome is on my laptop's screen. With Chrome closed, scrolling is fast.

I don't know what makes Chrome any different from, for example Firefox, and the Eclipse editor from Kate, but it seems Chrome and the Eclipse editor have a nasty interaction.
Previous Topic:Can it have decimal font size?
Next Topic:SWT - An exception Occurred when running the executable Jar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:55:28 GMT 2024