Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Issues with moving elements between models
Issues with moving elements between models [message #1693319] Thu, 23 April 2015 08:08 Go to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
I've did some tests with a new model structure today, and a a part of this I also tried to move a package containing a block and a diagram to another model. Working with Papyrus Luna SR2.

An example:

index.php/fa/21619/0/

The block 'Part AA' is in the package I want to move (OtherLib), and the part 'Safety PLC' is from another imported library containing common parts shared between all models.

First, in model A, I imported the target package (OtherLibExternal) from model B. Then I moved the package (OtherLib)containing the block(s), associations and a diagram I wanted to move. Closed the diagram above and reopened it, and got this:

index.php/fa/21620/0/

Also when opening OtherLibExternal, the diagram was lost.

Shouldn't this work?

And to make things weird, I made the import the other way (model A into B) around one time, didn't work, remade the import (model B into A), and all of a sudden it worked! But after closing the model, it was back to the failed state again.

Cleared up the diagram by either deleting or hiding the parts not possible to show, made sure there was no references or import elements for OtherLibExternal (which not is totally empty), but still OtherLibExternal pops up in the ModelExplorer each time i open model A. The only way I could get rid of OtherLibExternal was to delete its model files.

So, am I trying something not supposed to be possible here? Or are there flaws in the mechanisms for moving parts of a model to another model?

Regards,
Tomas
Re: Issues with moving elements between models [message #1693320 is a reply to message #1693319] Thu, 23 April 2015 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Tomas,

Moving an element from one resource to another is a refactoring operation, which is not always properly handled by Papyrus. Unlike simple changes, refactoring operations may cause inconsistencies in related models if they are not consistently saved during this operation.

We did some work on the Control Mode operation (Which is also a similar refactoring) to ensure consistency, but we didn't generalize that to elements moved from one model to another.

The workaround (To avoid the issue) would be to force a change in the Diagrams, to ensure that they are consistently saved. Otherwise, diagrams will be considered unmodified and will not be saved, causing this inconsistency.
The second workaround (To repair the model) would be to use the Refactor > Switch Library operation, but this is probably too much in that case, because it would update *all* references to a model to references to another model. In this case, you only want to update some of them (the broken ones), so that's probably not an option

So that's definitely a bug in Papyrus, and I don't think it has been reported yet

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Issues with moving elements between models [message #1693334 is a reply to message #1693320] Thu, 23 April 2015 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomas Sandkvist is currently offline Tomas SandkvistFriend
Thanks Camille, I've tried forcing a change to the diagram by simply adding a dummy block, it works. However this I guess will become a major problem if I would like to refactor my current model(s) having hundred(s) of diagrams since all of them would need to be saved at the same time (I presume)...

I will report this in Bugzilla.

Regards,
Tomas
Re: Issues with moving elements between models [message #1693336 is a reply to message #1693334] Thu, 23 April 2015 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is the resource (notation file) that needs to be saved, but it is unable to detect move operations as actual changes. This means that a single forced-change for each notation resource should be sufficient

Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Issues with moving elements between models [message #1693346 is a reply to message #1693336] Thu, 23 April 2015 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Hi, Camille, Tomas,

Note also that a complete refactoring solution (which I think we need)
would also account for updating models that are open in other editors
and those that aren't open in any editor.

Something like a workspace wide-index of cross-resource references
would be useful in the implementation of such refactoring capability.

Neon, anyone? ;-)

Christian

On 2015-04-23 10:03:51 +0000, Camille Letavernier said:

> It is the resource (notation file) that needs to be saved, but it is
> unable to detect move operations as actual changes. This means that a
> single forced-change for each notation resource should be sufficient
>
> Camille
Re: Issues with moving elements between models [message #1693350 is a reply to message #1693346] Thu, 23 April 2015 12:31 Go to previous message
Hi Christian,

There's already some work in progress to reuse EMF Compare's Cross-resource tool in Papyrus Refactoring operations. We definitely need that Smile Hopefully it will even be available in Mars or Mars SR

Camille

Camille Letavernier
Previous Topic:How to share my work
Next Topic:Hide type of the blocks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:37:51 GMT 2024