Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Server Runtime Environment and Tomcat(How to set up the environment correctly)
Server Runtime Environment and Tomcat [message #1692914] Mon, 20 April 2015 14:37 Go to next message
Juan Jimenez is currently offline Juan JimenezFriend
I have Eclipse Luna sr2 running happily on my Linux Mint 17.1 and I am trying to complete the tutorial found here. I get stuck in step 9 out of 10 and the problem manifests itself as follows:

1.- I have Tomcat v7 installed under /usr/share/tomcat7
2.- In Eclipse, when I open Window / Preferences / Server / Runtime Environment, I can see Apache Tomcat v7.0 listed
3.- When I open View "Servers", no servers are available but there is a link. When I click the link I am offered many options including various versions of Tomcat including v7.0 but this is the only one I am unable to select (presumably because it is already installed)
4.- Back to the tutorial, when I open the project's properties, I can see Tomcat v7.0 under "Targeted Environments" but under "Server" there is nothing. Unsurprisingly, I am unable to complete step 9 in the tutorial. Step 9 is about deploying the solution to the server.

I have been browsing the Internet since yesterday but I cannot find anything to help me so far. Can anyone help please?
Re: Server Runtime Environment and Tomcat [message #1692954 is a reply to message #1692914] Mon, 20 April 2015 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What do you mean by "unable to select"? Have you tried removing Tomcat from the list of Installed Runtime Environments and then retrying the Servers view? Using an untarred copy of 7.0.x downloaded directly from Apache (rather than one installed by your Mint's package manager)?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Server Runtime Environment and Tomcat [message #1693019 is a reply to message #1692954] Tue, 21 April 2015 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Juan Jimenez is currently offline Juan JimenezFriend
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 16:10
[...] Have you tried removing Tomcat from the list of Installed Runtime Environments and then retrying the Servers view? Using an untarred copy of 7.0.x downloaded directly from Apache (rather than one installed by your Mint's package manager)?

Indeed that was the problem, so a big thank you!

I downloaded the Tomcat v7*tar.gz file and unpacked it into /var/tmp. Then I removed the (Mint packaged) Tomcat runtime environment from Eclipse and re-added using the one from /var/tmp and it all worked.

I then BeyondCompared /var/tmp/apache-tomcat-7.0.61 with /usr/share/tomcat7 (where Mint installs it) and noticed that there are several files and directories missing from the latter.

So, it appears that the package installer is doing Eclipse a disservice. Perhaps it is doing a "production" installation and leaving out what is needed for development.

Whichever way, it would be nice to improve matters for future developers. First step would be to fully understand why the two installations are different. Any thoughts?
Re: Server Runtime Environment and Tomcat [message #1693106 is a reply to message #1693019] Tue, 21 April 2015 18:57 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Only that it's not necessarily a new problem: https://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ#Troubleshooting

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Focusing a field
Next Topic:Standalone Juno Eclipse Java Development- Still Possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:12:49 GMT 2024