Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view(Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't showing in the model view)
Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1692796] Sat, 18 April 2015 21:01 Go to next message
RPG Maker is currently offline RPG MakerFriend
Hi everyone,

I just started using papyrus for UML modeling and I like it so far, specially because it's an eclipse plugin... BUT (there has to be one, otherwise I wouldn't be posting on the forum Smile I have found what appears to be an issue: the attributes and operations that I add using the properties view (the more usable way to add several at a time) aren't showing in the model view but they do show when I add them using the respective palette item. I look at the "properties" of each of them and I don't see any difference with the one I added using the properties view.

I looked at a thread here that seems to be dealing with a similar issue (difficult to know given that the OP didn't give many specifics) but the answers suggested doesn't seem to fit my installation of Papyrus since I can't see the option under appearance.

Any additional information on this would be appreciated.
Re: Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1692897 is a reply to message #1692796] Mon, 20 April 2015 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remi Schnekenburger is currently offline Remi SchnekenburgerFriend
Hi,

In Papyrus, we assume that the content of the model (what we call the semantic part) is not always fully represented in the diagrams (the views). The idea behind that is to let the user create their own views from the model.

One example could be the inside view of a class, e.g. its nested classifiers, its operations, its attributes, etc. Another view could be the relationship with external classifiers, e.g. dependencies, inheritance, etc. So we do not add the view of the element in the diagram unless the user asks to, using the palette tool to create the element. The palette creates the semantic element and the graphical representation at once.

What you want here is what we call a canonical mode, a.k.a synchronization between model explorer and diagrams. This feature will be released this June with the next simultaenous release of Eclipse. You can see some videos demonstrating this feature there: Canonical demo

Hope this helps,
Rémi

Remi Schnekenburger

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1692940 is a reply to message #1692897] Mon, 20 April 2015 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the detailed answer.

That is a seriously needed feature, it's a surprise to me that it has taken so long to be added. It would be better if there was a preference for the diagram to _always_ be sinchronized with the model instead of having to toggle the option every time for every class... on the video didn't seem like that would be one of the preferences.

I went on to try other UML design tools, there aren't that many (polished) tools on linux but there are a few. Papyrus is by far the best one but using the pallette was a pain... I look forward to use it again in the future.
Re: Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1692952 is a reply to message #1692940] Mon, 20 April 2015 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Using CSS stylesheets (external *.css resources or embedded
stylesheets) can help to stream-line the synchronization of diagrams.
For example, a rule like this can make all classes in a diagram
synchronized:

Class { canonical: true }

so that show the full complement of operations, attributes, and nested
classes (and any other compartments that may be implemented).

It's a bit more awkward to extend the same to other kinds of
classifiers. For now, it is not possible to do, say,

Classifier { canonical: true }

because the current CSS engine doesn't apply metaclass selectors to
subtypes. Hopefully the move to CSS3 can address that limitation, but
I don't know enough about the details to comment on the feasibility of
that. For now, you would have to enumerate the things that you want
synchronized, e.g.

Class, Enumeration, DataType, PrimitiveType, Interface { canonical : true }

or just do

* { canonical: true }

and hope that this doesn't overwhelm your diagrams with too much
content (a synchronized view also shows all of its connections in the
diagram).

HTH,

Christian

On 2015-04-20 17:38:24 +0000, RPG Maker said:

> Thanks for the detailed answer.
>
> That is a seriously needed feature, it's a surprise to me that it has
> taken so long to be added. It would be better if there was a preference
> for the diagram to _always_ be sinchronized with the model instead of
> having to toggle the option every time for every class... on the video
> didn't seem like that would be one of the preferences.
>
> I went on to try other UML design tools, there aren't that many
> (polished) tools on linux but there are a few. Papyrus is by far the
> best one but using the pallette was a pain... I look forward to use it
> again in the future.
Re: Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1692956 is a reply to message #1692952] Mon, 20 April 2015 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went to my papyrus project properties>papyrus>stylesheets and added an embedded stylesheet with content: * { canonical: true } I named it 'canonical' and the diagram still doesn't show what I add via the properties view. Where else can I set this stylesheet? Am I missing something?
Re: Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1692961 is a reply to message #1692956] Mon, 20 April 2015 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Are you using the M6 milestone of Papyrus Mars? With M6, class
diagrams, activity diagrams, state machine diagrams, and communication
diagrams should largely do what you expect. Other diagrams are still
in progress.

I don't think project stylesheets should behave any differently than
stylesheets attached to a model or a particular diagram in the 'Style'
tab of the Properties view for a diagram [1], but perhaps something was
overlooked in the handling of styles at the project level. If you are
using Mars M6, and your use case works when you attach a stylesheet to
the model or a diagram but not at the project, then please raise a bug.

Cheers,

Christian

[1] Open your diagram in the editor, select the diagram surface, and in
the Properties view select the 'Style' tab. There you will see
controls for attaching a CSS stylesheet to that diagram individually or
to all diagrams in the model.

On 2015-04-20 20:30:10 +0000, RPG Maker said:

> I went to my papyrus project properties>papyrus>stylesheets and added
> an embedded stylesheet with content: * { canonical: true } I named it
> 'canonical' and the diagram still doesn't show what I add via the
> properties view. Where else can I set this stylesheet? Am I missing
> something?
Re: Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1692966 is a reply to message #1692961] Mon, 20 April 2015 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using what I think is the standard Papyrus (see attachment), do I need to install anything else?

I don't know if by 'diagram surface' you mean an area without any UML elements on it, if so then that option doesn't show up that way. Via a class element's properties view I did see the option, I added the style but the result was the same.
Re: Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1693008 is a reply to message #1692966] Tue, 21 April 2015 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi,

You are currently using Papyrus 1.0.2 (Luna SR2). The model/diagram synchronization is work-in-progress and will be officially released with Papyrus 1.1.0 (Mars SR0), in June. So, you'd need to download an Eclipse Developer Build (Mars M6) to get this feature today.

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Attributes and operations added using the properties view aren't shown in the model view [message #1693054 is a reply to message #1693008] Tue, 21 April 2015 12:49 Go to previous message
I guess I'll be using it when I upgrade to Mars (probably when it hits stable). Thanks everyone!
Previous Topic:Sequence Diagram: syncCall missing from diagrams on image export
Next Topic:Is there a place to download tutorials of sysml using papyrus?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:34:46 GMT 2024