Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Where is plug-in wizard in Eclipse Luna(Plug-in wizard referenced in tutorials doesn't seem to be available in Luna 4.4.2)
Where is plug-in wizard in Eclipse Luna [message #1691630] Wed, 08 April 2015 15:38 Go to next message
Hugh Ferguson is currently offline Hugh FergusonFriend
Hello,
I'm looking to start my first plug-in development project but I'm having quite the difficulty getting started. Almost every tutorial I've found is for version 4.3 or lower, and in Eclipse Luna 4.4.2 for windows x64, the wizard for developing a plug-in appears to be missing.
If it is a different version of the IDE I need, what specific version do I need in order to start plug-in development. If it's a setting in Luna, what setting is it? I've found remarkably little information via Google/Stack-overflow on what seems like it must be a common problem.
Thanks in advance
-Hugh
Re: Where is plug-in wizard in Eclipse Luna [message #1691800 is a reply to message #1691630] Thu, 09 April 2015 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will answer my own question. For whatever reason, the latest releases of Eclipse (Luna 4.4.2) don't seem to have the plug-in development resources automatically installed. This applies to both the standard Eclipse and the EE release although I think the Contributor release does have these already.

You can get the plug-in resources by clicking on Help-->Install New Software
then in the "Work with" drop-down, selecting "The Eclipse Project Updates - ..."

Uncheck the "Group Items by Category" check box, then locate the Eclipse Platform Plug-in development resources, and probably Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment. I ended up checking a few others that had plug-in in the name, which I probably don't need all of, but this got me the plug-in template made available.
-Hugh
Re: Where is plug-in wizard in Eclipse Luna [message #1691804 is a reply to message #1691800] Thu, 09 April 2015 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Hugh, exactly which Luna package did you download? You'll find multiple ones listed at http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/, with "Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Committers" being the one you should have started with for that purpose.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Where is plug-in wizard in Eclipse Luna [message #1691818 is a reply to message #1691804] Thu, 09 April 2015 21:08 Go to previous message
Originally, I downloaded the standard IDE. Then I downloaded the EE IDE. It was after doing the latter that I found out about how to get the plug-in infrastructure. The IDE for committers didn't seem like an obvious choice at the time. Remember, I'm new to Eclipse development and have only previously used it for writing java applications. When I had downloaded in the past, the Kepler release did have the plug-in resources in the default download as I recall.
-Hugh

[Updated on: Thu, 09 April 2015 22:27]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How Can I Tell if a Plug-In is on my Computer - Thus Available to Eclipse
Next Topic:Install Eclipse 32bit AND Eclipse 64Bit on same Computer?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:17:40 GMT 2024