Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Update eclipse results in no menus, projects not visible - completely useless
Update eclipse results in no menus, projects not visible - completely useless [message #1691466] Tue, 07 April 2015 13:10 Go to next message
Anton Hughes is currently offline Anton HughesFriend
Hi

This is the second time this has happened.

I checked for updates, there was some ( I cannot remember what they were) but I updated.

When eclipse restarted, all menus were missing, files not showing, projects not showing.

http://i.imgur.com/BAbwXW1.png

How can I fix this?

And how can I prevent this from happening again?
Re: Update eclipse results in no menus, projects not visible - completely useless [message #1691488 is a reply to message #1691466] Tue, 07 April 2015 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Could you attach your log file? Looks like a major error must have occurred.

Brian.
Re: Update eclipse results in no menus, projects not visible - completely useless [message #1691492 is a reply to message #1691488] Tue, 07 April 2015 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Brian

There is no log file, as described in the link you provided. But there is a platform.xml file, which I have attached.
  • Attachment: platform.xml
    (Size: 52.36KB, Downloaded 198 times)
Re: Update eclipse results in no menus, projects not visible - completely useless [message #1691500 is a reply to message #1691492] Tue, 07 April 2015 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
That's not the file, unfortunately. Try searching your hard disk for a file called ".log". I'm not sure what platform you're on, but the default workspace is usually in your home directory called "workspace", so you'd look under there for ".metadata/.log". You may need to enable viewing hidden files.

Brian.
Re: Update eclipse results in no menus, projects not visible - completely useless [message #1691503 is a reply to message #1691500] Tue, 07 April 2015 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found it.

And I am using Ubuntu 14.04

• Attachment: .log
    (Size: 921.79KB, Downloaded 131 times)
Re: Update eclipse results in no menus, projects not visible - completely useless [message #1691524 is a reply to message #1691503] Tue, 07 April 2015 19:45 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hmm, it looks like the update went very awry: what would seem to be a key dependency "org.eclipse.jpt.common.core" isn't found, and you have a bunch of ClassCastExceptions "java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.e4.ui.model.application.impl.ApplicationImpl cannot be cast to org.eclipse.emf.ecore.EObject" -- and those objects definitely do implement Object.

You might be able to do a "revert" using the p2 director. See the following FAQ:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_Revert_an_Update_or_Installation_with_p2

Brian.
Previous Topic:Type Hierarchy doesn't show anything
Next Topic:[Solved] Help for customizing an eclipse context menu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:39:04 GMT 2024