Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » No "Detached" on View's Right-Click Menu(Alternate method found, doesn't appear to work for re-attaching)
No "Detached" on View's Right-Click Menu [message #1690181] Wed, 25 March 2015 15:13 Go to next message
Regina Litman is currently offline Regina LitmanFriend
Quick summary:

1. Why doesn't my right-click menu on a view tab show any items except Close, and is there a way to add these (such as Detached)?

2. If Detached is no longer on the right-click menu, or it has been disabled by my employer, how do I get the dragging of the view tab to the "Workbench window" to restore the view to work on my computer?

More detailed information:

I am following a JAVA tutorial at lynda.com, which also includes how to use Eclipse. My version is "Version: Juno Service Release 1 Build id: 20120920-0800", with the latest copyright date shown as twenty-twelve. I think the video I'm watching was made in twenty-eleven, so it may be using an earlier version.

This tutorial shows a way to detach a view by right-clicking its tab and choosing Detached. There are also other options in the context menu that appears in this tutorial. However, when I right-click, all I see is "Close". Are the other options missing as a result of some installation options my employer chose for Eclipse? If so, is there a way within Windows -> Preferences to add them? Or is this possibly a change made in a more recent version of Eclipse?

Googling for help, I found a page at http colon slash slash help.eclipse.org/luna/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.user%2Ftasks%2Ftasks-9l dot htm that gives an alternative version for detaching and then restoring the view. However, I can't get the restore option, "To restore the view to be shown inside of the Workbench window, drag the view tab into the Workbench window," to work on my computer. I've dragged it all kinds of ways onto what I call the Eclipse window, but it doesn't result in the view becoming re-attached. Perhaps my problem is that I'm not in whatever this "Workbench window" is!

Fortunately, the tutorial went on to describe the Window -> Reset Perspective option, and all was back to normal.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me on this.

I am sometimes an Original Poster, but I am never an OP!
Re: No "Detached" on View's Right-Click Menu [message #1690189 is a reply to message #1690181] Wed, 25 March 2015 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
The right-click options to detach and re-attach were removed, I think, in Eclipse 4.x. To drag a detached view back into the workbench window you can to drop it on a tab group or an "empty"slot between any other views. Eclipse shows an outline as you move it around to "preview" where it would be placed if you dropped it; it's pretty easy so I can't imagine what's going wrong in your case.
What version of Eclipse? What OS? Is there any way you could record a video of what you're doing and post a link here for us to see?
Re: No "Detached" on View's Right-Click Menu [message #1690196 is a reply to message #1690189] Wed, 25 March 2015 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your quick reply. The version is 4.2 under Windows 7. The outline appears for me when I first grab the tab and start dragging it but am still within the Workbench/Eclipse window. Once I have it outside the boundaries of the non-maximized Eclipse window, I can't get that outline to show up again when I bring it back within the Workbench/Eclipse window boundary.

Recording a video is beyond the technical capabilities of this 60-something person with mainly a mainframe background who would rather use a thousand words to describe something than to do it graphically. I wouldn't know where to even begin, in terms of both software and hardware.

Re: No "Detached" on View's Right-Click Menu [message #1690319 is a reply to message #1690196] Thu, 26 March 2015 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without seeing what you're seeing it's hard to imagine what's going on. Like I said, dragging a detached view back into the workbench is pretty straightforward. Maybe you could shoot a video with your phone...?
Or maybe someone else will chime in with ideas...
Re: No "Detached" on View's Right-Click Menu [message #1690379 is a reply to message #1690196] Fri, 27 March 2015 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 03/25/2015 10:03 AM, Regina Litman wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply. The version is 4.2 under Windows 7. The
> outline appears for me when I first grab the tab and start dragging it
> but am still within the Workbench/Eclipse window. Once I have it outside
> the boundaries of the non-maximized Eclipse window, I can't get that
> outline to show up again when I bring it back within the
> Workbench/Eclipse window boundary.
>
> Recording a video is beyond the technical capabilities of this
> 60-something person with mainly a mainframe background who would rather
> use a thousand words to describe something than to do it graphically. I
> wouldn't know where to even begin, in terms of both software and hardware.

Drag the tab from the detached window to the same tab area of the
original Eclipse workbench. It should receive that tab and incorporate
it again.
Re: No "Detached" on View's Right-Click Menu [message #1690491 is a reply to message #1690196] Fri, 27 March 2015 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell's response made me think of something: when trying to drag the view back into the main workbench window, you are clicking and dragging the tab, not the window border, right? Like in this screen shot:
index.php/fa/21362/0/
  • Attachment: detached.png
    (Size: 29.29KB, Downloaded 1562 times)
Re: No "Detached" on View's Right-Click Menu [message #1690663 is a reply to message #1690491] Mon, 30 March 2015 13:05 Go to previous message
Thank you for the graphic description. Yes, I was grabbing the wrong thing! I just tried it again with the Console tab, and it went back into place!

Previous Topic:Run SOAP UI scripts in ITKO LISA
Next Topic:Standard Deviation calculation in Eclipse (Sample vs. Population)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:52:57 GMT 2024