Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? (multiple licenses)
Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1688371] Fri, 20 March 2015 15:07 Go to next message
M Jääskeläinen is currently offline M JääskeläinenFriend
I have downloaded Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers.

It comes with many features and plugins. Additionally I have downloaded some other needed plugins from Eclipse Marketplace.

I'd like to ask about Eclipse Foundation Software User Agreement that states by downloading Eclipse, I need to read and accept the terms and licenses in all the plugins. "IT IS YOUR OBLIGATION TO READ AND ACCEPT ALL SUCH TERMS AND CONDITIONS PRIOR TO USE OF THE CONTENT"

I have currently over 900 plugins in my Eclipse. How can I actually read over 900 about.html files for licenses?

How all this licensing should be handled actually, because Eclipse is so modular and relies on 3rd party plugins also?
Re: Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1688462 is a reply to message #1688371] Fri, 20 March 2015 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
The vast majority of the licenses are the same one, EPL. There are a couple of others sprinkied around for third-party JARs, but the number of unique licenses is actually quite small. When installing new features, the installation UI actually does a pretty good job of consolidating licenses so that you only see the unique licenses, not duplicate copies of them.
Re: Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1688475 is a reply to message #1688462] Fri, 20 March 2015 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course most of licences are EPL. But the rest?
I need to read and accept terms and license for each plugin when I download Eclipse.
Only way to do this is to browse all the 600+ plugin's Legal terms in about.html file?
I have currently Eclipse with 900+ plugins, so it's very hard job to manage licenses in this modular approuch.

"All of these content characteristics call for a modular approach to legal documentation. "

How do I concretically make a list of terms and licenses we need to give to legal advisor?

Re: Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1688642 is a reply to message #1688475] Sat, 21 March 2015 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
As Erik said, the different licenses (EPL and others) are consolidated
in the dialog so you see a list of the unique ones. This list is
generated from the information in the p2 update sites so you'd need to
learn how to use the p2 APIs (which include license information for each
installable unit) if you wanted to write your own "list of licenses"
gatherer...

On 20/03/2015 8:45 PM, M Jääskeläinen wrote:
> Of course most of licences are EPL. But the rest? I need to read and
> accept terms and license for each plugin when I download Eclipse. Only
> way to do this is to browse all the 600+ plugin's Legal terms in
> about.html file?
> I have currently Eclipse with 900+ plugins, so it's very hard job to
> manage licenses in this modular approuch.
> "All of these content characteristics call for a modular approach to
> legal documentation. "
>
> How do I concretically make a list of terms and licenses we need to
> give to legal advisor?
>
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1689006 is a reply to message #1688371] Sun, 22 March 2015 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 20.03.2015 um 16:07 schrieb M Jääskeläinen:
> I have downloaded Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers.
>
> It comes with many features and plugins. Additionally I have downloaded some other needed plugins from Eclipse
> Marketplace.
> I'd like to ask about Eclipse Foundation Software User Agreement that states by downloading Eclipse, I need to read
> and accept the terms and licenses in all the plugins. "IT IS YOUR OBLIGATION TO READ AND ACCEPT ALL SUCH TERMS AND
> CONDITIONS PRIOR TO USE OF THE CONTENT"
>
>
> I have currently over 900 plugins in my Eclipse. How can I actually read over 900 about.html files for licenses?
I assume that you are referring to "Third Party Content" as described in http://eclipse.org/legal/epl/about.php . I've
also wondered how that's supposed to be handled by users. I could not find evidence that p2 "knows" about this extra
legal content (at least not in the metadata) and, hence, does NOT even present it at (before) install time. So I guess
you'll have to install what you want to install and, once you've restarted, find all plugins, and search for all
about.html files in them (in all their folders!), and then uninstall the plugins with unacceptable content.

I agree that this procedure sounds itself unacceptable, so there may be a better way that we just don't know about. I've
cc'ed Janet in the hope that she can shed light on this.

BTW., a good example is the org.apache.ant plugin in Orbit. Its about.html mentions other licenses at apache.org,
w3.org, and saxproject.org. But p2's metadata for that plugin knows nothing about those:

<unit id='org.apache.ant' version='1.9.4.v201410062020' singleton='false'>
<update id='org.apache.ant' range='[0.0.0,1.9.4.v201410062020)' severity='0'/>
<properties size='5'>
<property name='df_LT.providerName' value='Eclipse Orbit'/>
<property name='df_LT.pluginName' value='Apache Ant'/>
<property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.name' value='%pluginName'/>
<property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.provider' value='%providerName'/>
<property name='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.bundle.localization' value='plugin'/>
</properties>
<provides size='75'>
[...]
</provides>
<artifacts size='1'>
<artifact classifier='osgi.bundle' id='org.apache.ant' version='1.9.4.v201410062020'/>
</artifacts>
<touchpoint id='org.eclipse.equinox.p2.osgi' version='1.0.0'/>
<touchpointData size='1'>
<instructions size='2'>
<instruction key='manifest'>
Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.ant&#xA;Bundle-Version: 1.9.4.v201410062020
</instruction>
<instruction key='zipped'>
true
</instruction>
</instructions>
</touchpointData>
</unit>

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

> How all this licensing should be handled actually, because Eclipse is so modular and relies on 3rd party plugins also?

Re: Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1689753 is a reply to message #1688642] Tue, 24 March 2015 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks wrote on Sat, 21 March 2015 04:29
As Erik said, the different licenses (EPL and others) are consolidated
in the dialog so you see a list of the unique ones. This list is
generated from the information in the p2 update sites so you'd need to
learn how to use the p2 APIs (which include license information for each
installable unit) if you wanted to write your own "list of licenses"
gatherer...
>

Is there such consolidated dialog in Eclipse where I can see list of unique licenses?

After I download Eclipse, how I can read all the unique licenses?

Re: Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1689763 is a reply to message #1689753] Tue, 24 March 2015 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Comments below.

On 24/03/2015 9:52 AM, M Jääskeläinen wrote:
> Ed Merks wrote on Sat, 21 March 2015 04:29
>> As Erik said, the different licenses (EPL and others) are
>> consolidated in the dialog so you see a list of the unique ones. This
>> list is generated from the information in the p2 update sites so
>> you'd need to learn how to use the p2 APIs (which include license
>> information for each installable unit) if you wanted to write your
>> own "list of licenses" gatherer...
>> >
>
>
> Is there such consolidated dialog in Eclipse where I can see list of
> unique licenses?
On the dialog where you accept the licenses.
> After I download Eclipse, how I can read all the unique licenses?
Pawing through everything and looking for the legal files in each.
>
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1689899 is a reply to message #1689763] Tue, 24 March 2015 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
M,
It's hard to tell exctly what your goal/purpose is, but if understand correctly then you might just have to bit the bullet and read everything from the initial download. When you use Marketplace or Install New Software from inside Eclipse, you're presented with a dialog that consolidates licenses; but for the initial download there's nothing like that since Eclipse has no installer, just a ZIP file.
Re: Accept licenses and terms for all the Eclipse plugins (900+)? [message #1690870 is a reply to message #1688371] Tue, 31 March 2015 16:37 Go to previous message
Mike Milinkovich is currently offline Mike MilinkovichFriend
I don't think that we have a great answer for you.

The Eclipse Foundation makes it free and open source software available to you at no charge. We do take a great deal of care to ensure that all of our license information is both accurate and complete, but we do not have a tool to aggregate all this license information for you.
Previous Topic:Eclipse userid in the account profile?
Next Topic:The resource is not on a build path in a Java project.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:34:23 GMT 2024