Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Confused newbie(Can't verify repo contents)
Confused newbie [message #1652177] Thu, 05 March 2015 18:55 Go to next message
Richard Wyant is currently offline Richard WyantFriend
I am new to Git, GitHub, and EGit and I'm stuck trying to get setup.

My goal is to be able to share code samples on GitHub. I have a repo on GitHub and one on my Ubuntu laptop. I'm going through the documentation for EGit and according to the Track Changes part of the user guide I should see question mark or plus sign decorations indicating whether something is getting synched or not. I'm not seeing that in Package Explorer, nor am I able to find out how to turn the Navigation tab on.

When I go to Commit the one file (right-click > Team > Commit...) I get everything on my laptop, including personal files I don't want in any repo.

I've tried these from right clicking on the file:
* Add to Index
* Remove from Index
* Ignore

I get no feedback on if I did it right or not. The only decoration I see is a tiny yellow cylinder.

My questions (so far) are:
* How do I see what's in the Index?
* How do I open the Navigation Tab in the Java Perspective?
* Am I even in the right perspective for this?

I've tried searching around, but I'm not getting anything helpful to my limited experience with all this.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Confused newbie [message #1654124 is a reply to message #1652177] Fri, 06 March 2015 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
In which view are you looking for decorations ?

If your Eclipse project is shared with the Git team provider (Team > Share project) you should see decorations from EGit in
project explorer, package explorer and similar views. The Git Staging View should always show which files have been
modified or staged but are not yet committed.
Re: Confused newbie [message #1657320 is a reply to message #1654124] Sat, 07 March 2015 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the response Matthias.

I'm looking in Package Explorer in the Java perspective. The options when I go into Team do not include Share project. I don't see it at the top menu. I can only see a Team menu when I right click on a package or class. I do see "no-head" by the project's name in Package Explorer, that tells me *something's* connected.

Re: Confused newbie [message #1681107 is a reply to message #1657320] Tue, 17 March 2015 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Did you try this small tutorial
https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide#Basic_Tutorial:_Adding_a_project_to_version_control
Re: Confused newbie [message #1692047 is a reply to message #1681107] Sun, 12 April 2015 20:54 Go to previous message
I realize I'm kind of necro-bumping, but I was able to get through this by updating Eclipse. I was running an old version from Ubuntu's Software Center. The latest had all I needed to proceed. Thanks, Matthias.
Previous Topic:Need help getting started with JGit
Next Topic:Can't add Copy-Pasted file to index
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:05:08 GMT 2024