Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » ATL » ATL-Editor to slow
ATL-Editor to slow [message #1648208] Tue, 03 March 2015 20:36 Go to next message
Alexander R is currently offline Alexander RFriend
Hi all,

I have a little problem. I am using Eclipse-Luna-DSL-Edition with the ATL-Plugin and am quite dissatisfied with the performance of the ATL-Editor.

My Module is ~3k big and the performance of the editor is ... not what I have had expected.

-A simple formatting operation (STRG+ALT+F) takes about 10s
-A simple save operation about 2s

The tranformation time is nevertheless ok..

May I configurate the ATL-Plugin in any way, to achieve a faster performance?
I am running Eclipse on a win7 pro, i5, 8gb ram and have reserved about 2gb of ram just for Eclipse.

Any ideas are welcome!

~Alex
Re: ATL-Editor to slow [message #1650349 is a reply to message #1648208] Wed, 04 March 2015 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Wagelaar is currently offline Dennis WagelaarFriend

The ATL parser is generated by ANTLR, and is unfortunately quite slow. Other ANTLR-generated parsers (xText, EMFText, ...) are not doing much better, so there doesn't seem to be an easy way to fix this. The only work-around is to keep the size of your ATL files down. You can do this by splitting up your ATL files into separate modules, and use module superimposition.

Cheers,
Dennis
Re: ATL-Editor to slow [message #1651297 is a reply to message #1650349] Thu, 05 March 2015 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thanks for the hint! Is the use of superimpositions possible on regular ATL?
I thought tthis would only work with helpers, but not rules.
Re: ATL-Editor to slow [message #1651417 is a reply to message #1651297] Thu, 05 March 2015 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Dennis,

I achieved a superimposition of modules, by extracting parts of my "main-module" to several other modules.
The transformation works apart from the content-assist. Is it possible to enable the content-assist for the modules in the superimposition ?

Thanks for your help
Alex
Re: ATL-Editor to slow [message #1651753 is a reply to message #1651417] Thu, 05 March 2015 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dennis Wagelaar is currently offline Dennis WagelaarFriend

Unfortunately not, as that would require parsing all the other files just for syntax completion information.

Technically, it is possible to do syntax completion based on the new EMFTVM bytecode format (this has been done with the SimpleOCL and SimpleGT experimental languages); EMFTVM bytecode loads much faster than ATL source code. However, doing that would require a rewrite of ATL's syntax completion algorithm, which is currently based on ATL source code.

Cheers,
Dennis
Re: ATL-Editor to slow [message #1660745 is a reply to message #1651753] Mon, 09 March 2015 10:10 Go to previous message
Hi,

thanks for your help. I've just an other simple question to
superimposition.

How may I enable 'debuggin' for the superimposed atl-modules? I found nothing
in the documentation about it. If I set my breakpoints to one ast-node of my superimposed atl-module, the debugger never stops there.

~Alex
Previous Topic:problem doing uml comment
Next Topic:Hover information shows wrong parametersorder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:27:58 GMT 2024