Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Is the latest Eclipse distributed file (for OSX) broken?
Is the latest Eclipse distributed file (for OSX) broken? [message #1523731] Tue, 23 December 2014 03:14 Go to next message
Ken Kobayashi is currently offline Ken KobayashiFriend
I've downloaded the latest (Lena) Eclipse IDE for Java Developers for Mac OS X 64bit from www.eclipse.org/downloads/ and run it.
But it doesn't work.

Here is the error message.
$ open ./Eclipse.app
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/***/Eclipse.app.

Another version of Lena, it works well.
download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/R-4.4-201406061215/

I think the latest distribution file on the download page should be replaced to valid file.

My system's environment is:
* Mac OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks)
* Already installed JRE 1.8 (default), JRE 1.6

Regards,
Ken
Re: Is the latest Eclipse distributed file (for OSX) broken? [message #1532338 is a reply to message #1523731] Sun, 28 December 2014 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Williams is currently offline David WilliamsFriend
The file "works for me". [1]

But, I can imagine a few things that might be causing you trouble.
I think SR1 was not "signed with Developer ID certificate" due to Apple's changing "rules" about how to sign, and what can be signed. [2]

On the DL page itself, we provide a link to
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6551715
which explains how to get around this problem ... that is, "get around it not being signed" by "running anyway" even though not signed.

If you try to execute it from the finder, you might get a more informative message?

Searching the web, I see a few items about ""LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed", one mentions to be sure to set the "execute" flag, but another more generally just says "problems with authorizations" (or ... something like that).

Hope that helps. Let us know if you learn anything.

[1] The reason this may "work for me" and not "you" (or, others) is that the Apple OS keeps track of a lot of things in "system databases" and may be remembering that I already said to "run anyway" at some point in the past? Or, we could have different settings for "gate keeper", or something.

[2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=446390

Re: Is the latest Eclipse distributed file (for OSX) broken? [message #1533401 is a reply to message #1532338] Sun, 28 December 2014 14:55 Go to previous message
Ken Kobayashi is currently offline Ken KobayashiFriend
Thank you, and I'm sorry I thought wrong.
I'm sure that the file is not corrupted.
It is just because execute permission is turned off in my environment.

As David gave me advice, I've checked the permissions for files.
And I realized that my problem is caused by the software which I used for extracting tar.

When you extract the file using 'tar' command, there is no problem.
But if you use B1 Archiver for extracting that one, it implicitly removes execute-permission of "eclipse".

(If you extracted files using B1 Archiver, )
$ open Eclipse.app
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/***/Eclipse.app.
$ chmod u+x Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse
$ open Eclipse.app
$
(and Eclipse is working good.)

Thank you very much, David.
(and also thanks Ahmed for response.)

Sincerely,
Ken
Previous Topic:How to remove unecessary errors/warnings in editor
Next Topic:Re: How do I install MinGW?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:10:33 GMT 2024