Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Luna on Mac 10.10: 32 bit -> 64 bit migration?(Running Luna on Mac OS X 10.10.2, am I running 32bit? How to migrate to 64bit?)
Luna on Mac 10.10: 32 bit -> 64 bit migration? [message #1610737] Wed, 11 February 2015 00:41 Go to next message
Jim DeLaHunt is currently offline Jim DeLaHuntFriend

Hello, everyone:

I've been a user of Eclipse off and on over several years. I'm just coming back "on" after enough months that I've forgotten everything and become a newbie again.

I had Eclipse 3.7 Indigo installed on a Mac OS X 10.5 machine. I migrated that app, along with the rest of my disk contents, to a new Mac running Mac OS X 10.10.2. I was able to get Eclipse 3.7 to launch, and I upgraded it. I now have a shiny fresh Eclipse 4.4 Luna and a variety of related plug-ins on my machine.

Of course, Eclipse for Mac OS X comes in 32-bit and 64-bit variants. On the Mac OS X 10.5 machine, I believe I had a 32-bit JVM, and most of the OS was 32-bit, so I was using the 32-bit build of Eclipse. But I did download the 64-bit build, to diagnose some problem or other.

Q1. When I run "eclipse.app", I think that what runs is the 32-bit variant. But how can I tell that for sure? Is there something displayed by Eclipse that says "I am the 32-bit variant of Eclipse for Mac OS X", or "I am the 64-bit variant"?

Q2. And assuming that I am in fact running the 32-bit variant, how can I best migrate to the 64-bit variant? Is there some option to select in Install/Upgrade? Can I get some automated help migrating the dozens of plug-ins to 64-bit? Or do I need to download a fresh copy of Eclipse Luna Mac OS X 64-bit variant, and reinstall all my plug-ins from scratch?

Some forensics on my installation:

In my /Applications/ folder, I have two Eclipse folders. One is called "eclipse/", and contains "eclipse.app" and "eclipse(32).app". I suspect this is the 32-bit variant. The modification timestamp on "eclipse.app" is today, and I think that reflects my upgrade to Luna. The second folder is called "eclipse_x86_64/", and contains "Eclipse.app" and "eclipse(64).app". I suspect this is the 64-bit variant. The modification timestamp on "eclipse.app" is July 2012.

Apple menu... About Eclipse... Installation Details... gives me over 800 kB of text, among which are these lines:
...eclipse.commands=-os
macosx
-ws
cocoa
-arch
x86
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
java.runtime.version=1.6.0_65-b14-466.1-11M4716
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
java.specification.version=1.6
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
org.osgi.framework.os.name=MacOSX
org.osgi.framework.os.version=10.10.2
org.osgi.framework.processor=x86
os.arch=i386
os.name=Mac OS X
os.version=10.10.2
osgi.arch=x86
sun.arch.data.model=32

My Java VM information:
% java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-466.1-11M4716)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-466.1, mixed mode)

I have looked through the Workbench User Guide, and did searches through the forums, but couldn't find answers to these questions. If it's there and I missed it, I'd appreciate a pointer to the page.

To recap:
Q1: How do I tell if the version of Eclipse currently running is the 32 bit or 64 bit variant?
Q2: Assuming it is the 32 bit variant of Eclipse Luna for Mac OS X, what is the best way to migrate to the 64-bit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Jim DeLaHunt, multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver Canada
Running Liclipse. Coding in Python, SQL, PHP, Prolog.
Re: Luna on Mac 10.10: 32 bit -> 64 bit migration? [message #1615162 is a reply to message #1610737] Fri, 13 February 2015 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Well, I have a tentative answer to my own question. It would be great to get some confirmation that I'm correct, or else some guidance towards the right answer.

Jim DeLaHunt
Q1: How do I tell if the version of Eclipse currently running is the 32 bit or 64 bit variant?

I have not seen any evidence that the Eclipse UI discloses this in a straightforward way. If I've missed something, please educate me.

However, by looking at your Eclipse configuration you can extract the answer.
Apple menu... About Eclipse... Installation Details...tab Configuration... gives a whole lot of text. Look for specific lines:

eclipse.commands=-os
macosx
-ws
cocoa
-arch
x86 **or** x86_64

If the line after arch is x86_64: 64-bit. If x86: 32-bit.

org.osgi.framework.processor=x86 **or** x86-64

If the value after "=" is x86-64: 64-bit. If x86: 32-bit.

os.arch=i386 **or** x86_64

If the line after arch is x86_64: 64-bit. If i386: 32-bit.

osgi.arch=x86 **or** x86_64

If the line after arch is x86_64: 64-bit. If x86: 32-bit.

sun.arch.data.model=32 **or** 64

If the value after "=" is 64: 64-bit. If 32: 32-bit.

Note: these examples are taken from Eclipse running on Mac OS X 10.10. The Configuration text for Eclipse running on Windows or Linux, or on non-Intel CPUs, may differ.

---------

How I got here:

I ended up installing a new copy of Liclipse (liclipse.com), because I want PyDev (pydev.org), and I want to support the developer. It seems to be based on a 64-bit version of Eclipse. Here are the clues which I think are meaningful.

Apple menu... About Eclipse... Installation Details...tab Configuration... gives me over 800 kB of text, among which are these lines:
...eclipse.commands=-os
macosx
-ws
cocoa
-arch
x86_64
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
java.runtime.version=1.8.0_25-b17
java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
java.specification.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.specification.version=1.8
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
org.osgi.framework.os.name=MacOSX
org.osgi.framework.os.version=10.10.2
org.osgi.framework.processor=x86-64
os.arch=x86_64
os.name=Mac OS X
os.version=10.10.2
osgi.arch=x86_64
sun.arch.data.model=64

Liclipse includes its own Java VM, within the liclipse folder, beside Liclipse.app. The version information for that VM is:
% cd /Applications/liclipse/jre/
% bin/java -version
java version "1.8.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)

P.S. I find it interesting that in five different places where the Configuration text can say "64-bit" or "32-bit", it has four different pairs of symbols to say so.

Re: Luna on Mac 10.10: 32 bit -> 64 bit migration? [message #1615178 is a reply to message #1610737] Fri, 13 February 2015 19:16 Go to previous message

Jim DeLaHunt wrote on Tue, 10 February 2015 19:41
Q2. And assuming that I am in fact running the 32-bit variant, how can I best migrate to the 64-bit variant? Is there some option to select in Install/Upgrade? Can I get some automated help migrating the dozens of plug-ins to 64-bit? Or do I need to download a fresh copy of Eclipse Luna Mac OS X 64-bit variant, and reinstall all my plug-ins from scratch?

Based on a clue in a StackOverflow answer, I think this looks promising:

Install a separate copy of 64-bit Eclipse, separate from your 32-bit Eclipse install.

Run the new copy of Eclipse.

Select File... Import... The "Choose Import Source" page of the "Import" dialogue appears.

Under folder "Install", select "From Existing Installation". Press the Next button at the bottom of the dialogue. The "Import from Application" page appears.

To the right of the "From application installation" box, press the "Browse..." button. A file open dialogue appears. Select the folder containing your 32-bit instance of Eclipse.

From here, it's a pretty normal Eclipse plug-in install process. You can follow the prompts. However, I'll complete the description.

Click OK. The lower pane of the Import from Application page fills with a list of the plug-ins in your old instance of Eclipse. Uncheck the box to the left of any item you don't wish to install.

Press the "Next" button. The Install Details page appears. It has a list of the plug-ins which Eclipse proposes actually to install.

Press the "Next" button. The Review Licenses page appears.

Click the radio button, "I accept the terms of the license agreements". The "Finish" button becomes active.

Click the "Finish" button. Eclipse takes some time preparing, then installs the plug-ins.

Previous Topic:Gpio pin already exist Exception
Next Topic:Can I download eclipse luna IDE through command prompt?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:40:42 GMT 2024