Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file
Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1580437] Fri, 23 January 2015 13:48 Go to next message
Thomas Laegler is currently offline Thomas LaeglerFriend
Hi folks.
I'm a little familar with Oomph especially as consumer of *.setup files to setup my eclipse installation.
I have a properly set up eclipse installation with workspace, git, projects and tons of good plugins. Now, the problem is, that I want to backup this current Eclipse installation so that I'm able to install the same installation on another pc.
So here is my question to the community: Is there an easy and fast way to export the my current Eclipse installation with all that stuff to a *.setup file? Or do I have to add all the p2-repos, plugins, projects etc. pp. manually into my *.setup file?

Thanks and greets Smile
Thomas
Re: Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1580569 is a reply to message #1580437] Fri, 23 January 2015 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi Thomas,

We haven't developed anything that automatically derives a setup file from an existing installation. We plan to do that
as part of our commercial offering that's hopefully coming soon. In the meantime you can use a trick to author the
P2Director task(s) for your setup file quite easily. Open the new "Repository Explorer" view in Eclipse and your
system's file manager (e.g., Windows Explorer), then find your installations profile folder under your p2 agent folder
(e.g., file:/C:/Users/Stepper/.p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/C__develop_oomph_eclipse.profile), drag
it and drop it on the Repository Explorer's URL combo box. You should see all the features/IUs in your current
installation and be able to drag them and drop them into your setup file's P2Director task(s). I hope that helps ;-)

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Am 23.01.2015 um 14:48 schrieb Thomas Laegler:
> Hi folks.
> I'm a little familar with Oomph especially as consumer of *.setup files to setup my eclipse installation.
> I have a properly set up eclipse installation with workspace, git, projects and tons of good plugins. Now, the problem
> is, that I want to backup this current Eclipse installation so that I'm able to install the same installation on
> another pc.
> So here is my question to the community: Is there an easy and fast way to export the my current Eclipse installation
> with all that stuff to a *.setup file? Or do I have to add all the p2-repos, plugins, projects etc. pp. manually into
> my *.setup file?
>
> Thanks and greets :) Thomas

Re: Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1725472 is a reply to message #1580569] Thu, 03 March 2016 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Platek is currently offline Peter PlatekFriend
Hi Eike,

I was able to import the tasks as you described, but all imported Version Ranges are set to 0.0.0. Is there a better way of doing this now?

Peter
Re: Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1725517 is a reply to message #1725472] Fri, 04 March 2016 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Peter,

With Thunderbird I can't find the context for this question and even
sorting by author or subject, I can't locate the context. Perhaps you
could rephrase the full question.

On 03.03.2016 18:16, Peter Platek wrote:
> Hi Eike,
>
> I was able to import the tasks as you described, but all imported
> Version Ranges are set to 0.0.0. Is there a better way of doing this
> now?
>
> Peter

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1725560 is a reply to message #1725517] Fri, 04 March 2016 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abel Hegedus is currently offline Abel HegedusFriend
You can find the context through the Eclipse Forums: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/959921/

However, for your convenience, Eike wrote the following before Peter's post as an answer to Thomas:

Quote:

We haven't developed anything that automatically derives a setup file from an existing installation. We plan to do that
as part of our commercial offering that's hopefully coming soon. In the meantime you can use a trick to author the
P2Director task(s) for your setup file quite easily. Open the new "Repository Explorer" view in Eclipse and your
system's file manager (e.g., Windows Explorer), then find your installations profile folder under your p2 agent folder
(e.g., file:/C:/Users/Stepper/.p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/C__develop_oomph_eclipse.profile), drag
it and drop it on the Repository Explorer's URL combo box. You should see all the features/IUs in your current
installation and be able to drag them and drop them into your setup file's P2Director task(s). I hope that helps Wink
Re: Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1725564 is a reply to message #1725560] Fri, 04 March 2016 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abel,

The bottom part of that view has versions for the selected IU. With the
check and radio buttons you can influence what range is represented, and
you can drag and drop those to get the range you want.

On 04.03.2016 13:25, Abel Hegedus wrote:
> You can find the context through the Eclipse Forums:
> https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/959921/
>
> However, for your convenience, Eike wrote the following before Peter's
> post as an answer to Thomas:
>
> Quote:
>> We haven't developed anything that automatically derives a setup file
>> from an existing installation. We plan to do that as part of our
>> commercial offering that's hopefully coming soon. In the meantime you
>> can use a trick to author the P2Director task(s) for your setup file
>> quite easily. Open the new "Repository Explorer" view in Eclipse and
>> your system's file manager (e.g., Windows Explorer), then find your
>> installations profile folder under your p2 agent folder (e.g.,
>> file:/C:/Users/Stepper/.p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine/profileRegistry/C__develop_oomph_eclipse.profile),
>> drag it and drop it on the Repository Explorer's URL combo box. You
>> should see all the features/IUs in your current installation and be
>> able to drag them and drop them into your setup file's P2Director
>> task(s). I hope that helps ;)
>

Ed Merks
Re: Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1726933 is a reply to message #1725564] Thu, 17 March 2016 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragging and dropping the version from the bottom view of "Repository Explorer" does get the version populated properly based on the choice in the bottom part of that view. However, when you do a bulk import, all versions are set to 0.0.0. I think the bulk import should just grab whatever version settings you selected in the bottom view. So for instance, select "Minor" and all versions will be set accordingly. Otherwise it's tedious to click each item and drag and drop them one by one.
Re: Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1726983 is a reply to message #1726933] Fri, 18 March 2016 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter,

Please open an enhancement request.

On 17.03.2016 22:50, Peter Platek wrote:
> Dragging and dropping the version from the bottom view of "Repository
> Explorer" does get the version populated properly based on the choice in
> the bottom part of that view. However, when you do a bulk import, all
> versions are set to 0.0.0. I think the bulk import should just grab
> whatever version settings you selected in the bottom view. So for
> instance, select "Minor" and all versions will be set accordingly.
> Otherwise it's tedious to click each item and drag and drop them one by
> one.

Ed Merks
Re: Export current Eclipse installation to *.setup file [message #1727388 is a reply to message #1726983] Tue, 22 March 2016 16:18 Go to previous message
Hi Ed,

I submitted an enhancement request: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=490199
Previous Topic:${installation.location} points to base path
Next Topic:Error during installation in org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CheckTrust phase.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:17:17 GMT 2024