Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution
Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1504726] Tue, 09 December 2014 13:56 Go to next message
fab jubulator is currently offline fab jubulatorFriend
This happens if I run the Test out of Maven or Cruise Control.
It always happens between 2 suites in a job.
It works if I execute the batches by hand. There is plenty of waiting time.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 December 2014 13:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1505671 is a reply to message #1504726] Wed, 10 December 2014 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi there,

Can you post the relevant part of the testexec command line? Are you using the same AUT or a different AUT between Test Suites? (If you're using the same one, I'd highly recommend not using Test Jobs since they make working with the same AUT unnecessarily complicated - I can point you in the direction of test structure examples if you're working with one AUT). How many switches are you doing before the problem occurs? Can you post the test result reports for the two suites that are affected (the penultimate and the one where the error occurs?)

Thanks,
Alex
Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1505686 is a reply to message #1504726] Wed, 10 December 2014 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can only strongly recommend installing the Oracle Express 11g DB.
It seems to fix all of these problems. No more losing the Aut Agent.
The internal h2 database really isn't fit to do the job. MySQL is a hassle with Jubula.
I've learned it the hard way.
Be smart and take the soft option.
Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1505691 is a reply to message #1505671] Wed, 10 December 2014 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alex,

I do use a testjob that consists of several suites all using the same AUT. So the AUT agent is disconnected and reconnected after each suite (this is just the way Jubula seems to work).

The connection gets list after the first suit with only a few steps.
The Oracle DB seems to fix it, but if you have tips that help me improve my suites, I'd be thankful.
This disconnecting and reconnecting to the AUT seems troublesome.

"\\jubulasrv\c$\jubula\jubula\testexec" -project "OPTITOOL_348" -version "1.0" -autid "otcs_admin" -testjob "test-job" -resultdir "\\jubulasrv\c$\workspace\results" -language "en_US" -dburl "jdbc:oracle:thin:@jubulasrv:1521:xe" -dbuser system -dbpw opti -datadir "\\jubulasrv\c$\workspace" -server jubulasrv -port "60000" -data "\\jubulasrv\c$\workspace" -timeout "700"

[Updated on: Wed, 10 December 2014 08:34]

Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1505746 is a reply to message #1505691] Wed, 10 December 2014 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still looking for the result reports. Some of these get deleted after while...
Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1505898 is a reply to message #1505746] Wed, 10 December 2014 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The database doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the communication between the client and the server as far as I'm aware. It looks like your problem is related to the command line parameters you are using. You are using the -timeout parameter with 700, which means that the test exec itself will stop after this time. This is documented here.

It's true that Jubula disconnects and reconnects to an AUT between test jobs - that's because they're designed to deal with addressing multiple AUTs in a test, so the new connection has to be made. If you're only working with one AUT, then the preferred way to structure your tests is to use single test suites (e.g. one for your productive test cases, one for your incubation / smoke test / .. test cases). Within a test suite, you add each "use case" you want to test. Each use case is contained within a Jubula Test Case, and should be independent of any other use cases (i.e. it should assume or create its starting setup and leave the application in this state at the end - either via correct execution or via an event handler). An article on this is on the portal:
http://testing.bredex.de/test-cases-for-continuous-integration.html

There are also other articles about structure and conventions there that might be helpful. This is the kind of thing our consultants offer reviews and training on too, if you're interested.

Hope this information helps,
Alex
Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1505923 is a reply to message #1505898] Wed, 10 December 2014 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hm, it's just strange. When I was using the embedded DB, I couldn't get rid of the disconnection troubles. As soon as I started using the Oracle EX DB yesterday, the problem didn't occur anymore. Never. No other changes whtasoever.

I have just followed your advice and refactored my testcases as a single testcase and combined those to a suite, in order to do it the right way.

Not everything that is best practice, is achieveable in the software I'm testing because it's a multiuser software which effects database transactions - which cannot be undone, of course.

Thank you!

[Updated on: Wed, 10 December 2014 12:20]

Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1505993 is a reply to message #1505923] Wed, 10 December 2014 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi!

I'd like to check if the Test/Build exits with error code 0 or 1.
In case 1, I'd like to restart the AUT and start another Suite that cleans up the mess, so that the next test suite has a fresh start.

Is there any possibilty to check for the exit code of the suite in the batch which starts the suite?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 December 2014 13:40]

Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1506109 is a reply to message #1505993] Wed, 10 December 2014 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since I like answering my own questions:

if errorlevel 1 goto ONE
if errorlevel 0 goto ZERO
goto END

:ZERO
start \\jubulasrv\c$\optitool_3.4.8\stopAutAgent.bat
goto END

:ONE
"\\jubulasrv\c$\jubula\jubula\testexec" -project "OPTITOOL_suite" -version "1.0" -autconfig "otcs@localhost" -testsuite "DeleteTestSc" -resultdir "\\jubulasrv\c$\workspace\results" -language "en_US" -dburl "jdbc:oracle:thin:@jubulasrv:1521:xe" -dbuser system -dbpw opti -datadir "\\jubulasrv\c$\workspace" -server jubulasrv -port "60000" -data "\\jubulasrv\c$\workspace" -timeout "100"
goto ZERO

:END
Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1507279 is a reply to message #1506109] Thu, 11 December 2014 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update:
1. Jubula works well with the Oracle database.
2. I refactored the suites as test cases and made a suite out of the testjob in no time. Worked fine.
3. With the simple batch file, I can trigger a "clean up the mess"-suite if something goes wrong in the test suite.

Cruise Control Builds were successful.

Cheers!

[Updated on: Thu, 11 December 2014 13:33]

Re: Aut Agent loses connection to Aut during test execution [message #1507389 is a reply to message #1507279] Thu, 11 December 2014 15:37 Go to previous message
Glad it's working! Thanks for the update Smile
Previous Topic:MySQL troubles - table node does not exist
Next Topic:Using Jubula with multiple test writers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:25:45 GMT 2024