Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EMFStore] Performance Hit by number of checked out projects
[EMFStore] Performance Hit by number of checked out projects [message #1478994] Wed, 19 November 2014 04:39 Go to next message
Roza Ghamari is currently offline Roza GhamariFriend

We have about 20 projects in our EMFStore server and each project includes around 500k objects per project (relatively large projects).

Our users mostly like to checkout all the projects and have all of them in the workspace. However, what we noticed is that when the number of projects in the workspace increases, the commit and update time for a single project gets effected. I should add that none of these projects has any cross references to each other and they are completely separate.

Is this a known issue? Our profiling shows a linear increase in the commit/update time relative to the number projects in the workspace. We kept changins only a single attribute for all our tests. The I can also see in the CPU profiling that the eSet and eGet methos is getting called more times than the number of instances of the class in the single project.

I tried to get more tracking but I couldn't find more infor about what is the method that calls the eSet I just can see ESLocalProject.commit is calling esSet and eGet methods.

Another proof that I found was to have projects with models from different packages in the workspace. When I profile committing one project, I see calls the the eSet method of the package that doesn't exist in the committing project!

Please let me know if I can provide more data.

Thanks,
Roza
Re: [EMFStore] Performance Hit by number of checked out projects [message #1480002 is a reply to message #1478994] Wed, 19 November 2014 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With some additional debugging I figured out that the ResourcePersister class which has commit and update observers is causing this issue. In the implementation for observer interfaces, there is no check to see if the project that is comited/updated is the same as the project assigned to the ResourcePersister instance. As a result, it saves all the projects in the workspace which can cause a big delay when projects are large.

I already have a fix for this, should I commit this? Is it possible to have a patch release, we would like to avoid releasing the fix on our side.

Thanks,
Roza
Re: [EMFStore] Performance Hit by number of checked out projects [message #1481914 is a reply to message #1480002] Fri, 21 November 2014 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Hi,

thanks for debugging this!
This seems to be a bug in the implementation. It would be great if you
could open a bug and attach your patch. BTW if you are checking out many
projects you might be interested in a branch. Currently all checked out
projects on a client are kept in memory on the client. With the feature
you could unload checked out project on the client.

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 19.11.2014 23:48, schrieb Roza Ghamari:
> With some additional debugging I figured out that the ResourcePersister
> class which has commit and update observers is causing this issue. In
> the implementation for observer interfaces, there is no check to see if
> the project that is comited/updated is the same as the project assigned
> to the ResourcePersister instance. As a result, it saves all the
> projects in the workspace which can cause a big delay when projects are
> large.
> I already have a fix for this, should I commit this? Is it possible to
> have a patch release, we would like to avoid releasing the fix on our side.
>
> Thanks,
> Roza
>

--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: [EMFStore] Performance Hit by number of checked out projects [message #1482369 is a reply to message #1481914] Fri, 21 November 2014 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Maximillian,

I just reported the bug and attached the fix https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=452692

What is the plan to release these fixes?
Re: [EMFStore] Performance Hit by number of checked out projects [message #1489415 is a reply to message #1482369] Thu, 27 November 2014 10:47 Go to previous message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Hi,

Thanks!
The bug fix is currently scheduled for the 1.4.1 release (see
bugtracker). The current release plan of EMFStore is available here:
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/modeling.emft.emf-store/governance

Best regards,
Maximilian

Am 21.11.2014 19:33, schrieb Roza Ghamari:
> Hi Maximillian,
>
> I just reported the bug and attached the fix
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=452692
> What is the plan to release these fixes?

--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Previous Topic:Set Version of Plugins Generated from Ecore
Next Topic:[Edapt] Migrator / MigrationReconstructor for Models without XMI Serialization
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:49:07 GMT 2024