Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Why should I use Eclipse instead of Xcode?
Why should I use Eclipse instead of Xcode? [message #1477069] Mon, 17 November 2014 15:44 Go to next message
James Daykin is currently offline James DaykinFriend
is it better in any way? Just found out I can code java on xcode
Re: Why should I use Eclipse instead of Xcode? [message #1479525 is a reply to message #1477069] Wed, 19 November 2014 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
One short, contrite answer would be, "Because Apple hates Java." Yes, it's contrite but like most attempts at humor it's grounded in a bit of truth.
More seriously, Xcode is not, and never will be, focused on being a good Java IDE. Eclipse has been such for 10+ years.
Having used both for non-trivial projects, my assessment is that Xcode is far inferior even without considering Java. What I mean is when I did iOS development using Xcode I constantly found myself wishing it had feature after feature that Eclipse does.

The Java capabilities of Eclipse are so extensive that they can't even really be listed in one place; Xcode really isn't even in the same game, much less the same ballpark.

Bottom line: use the best tool for each job. If you want to do iOS or OS X development, then Xcode blows the socks off Eclipse. But that doesn't make it appropriate for Java development. By analogy, a pneumatic nail gun is an excellent tool for driving large quantities of nails, but you shouldn't use it to drive screws.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 November 2014 14:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Why should I use Eclipse instead of Xcode? [message #1481321 is a reply to message #1479525] Thu, 20 November 2014 23:23 Go to previous message
arena market is currently offline arena marketFriend
thanku Eric RizzoFriend
Previous Topic:Is there a Hibernate plugin for Eclipse Luna
Next Topic:Need help in getResource
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:17:20 GMT 2024