Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » cdt dsf: Breakpoints that do not stop program execution(Extend C/C++ line breakpoint functionality so that I get an event when this line is executed without suspending program execution)
icon5.gif  cdt dsf: Breakpoints that do not stop program execution [message #1470666] Wed, 12 November 2014 14:24
Artemis Papakonstantinou is currently offline Artemis PapakonstantinouFriend
I am implementing a debugger plugin for an arm target which is connected via JTAG with a pc. My plugin uses the JLink GNU ARM Eclipse plugin, which is extending dsf-gdb functionality.

I have already managed to catch MIBreakpointHitEvent with my DsfServiceEventHandler and exeute code which sends breakpoint info to an external java application.

The java application collects real time traces from the target device, so it would be very usefull to have breakpoints that do not stop the program execution (halt the arm core).

The first approach used is C/C++ Tracepoints, which are not stopping program execution. I would like to add my own TracePointAction. But C/C++ TracePointActions seem not to be extensible. Package: org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.internal.tracepointactions does not belong to the known cdt extension points: http://help.eclipse.org/luna/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fextension-points%2Findex.html..
Are TracePointActions expected to be extendible in the future?Is there any other way to catch a TracePoint "hit" event? (I also tried TracepointActionManager.getInstance().addAction() with no luck)

The second approach was to use conditional breakpoints. If the condition is false, the breakpoint is not triggered and the program execution is not supsended. I would like to catch an event from that in order to execute my code which communicates with my java application.
Is there any event generated, indicating that the breakpoint condition is currently being evaluated?
Could I override preprocessOnSuspend of org.eclipse.cdt.debug.edc.internal.services.dsf.RunControl?I am not sure if this is triggered only when a breakpoint is hit or when a breakpoint is found and its condition is evaluated.

Any help would be appreciated, because Mad Confused

[Updated on: Wed, 12 November 2014 15:36]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to integrate or merge a 3.4 version developed plugin with 3.8.2 version
Next Topic:Enablement of objectcontribution if file exists
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:52:48 GMT 2024