Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse C/C++ won't start(Using Yosemite on Mac and Java 8)
Eclipse C/C++ won't start [message #1466941] Sun, 09 November 2014 17:15 Go to next message
Brenda Beyke is currently offline Brenda BeykeFriend
the problem seems to be the jre update to 8 which would not install in the /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/.... so I have moved it there myself and my .ini matches the path. (I'm also brand new to Mac). I have read everything here that I can and cannot figure out why it won't run.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 November 2014 21:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse C/C++ won't start [message #1468041 is a reply to message #1466941] Mon, 10 November 2014 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
More details are needed, you haven't provided enough information for anyone to even guess what's happening. For example, what does "won't start" mean specifically? What package of Eclipse (what, specifically, did you download)? What does your eclipse.ini look like? etc
Re: Eclipse C/C++ won't start [message #1470928 is a reply to message #1468041] Wed, 12 November 2014 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for responding. "Won't start" means just that. I get an error window saying Eclipse quit unexpectedly. I have just updated my mac to Yosemite, I have installed the C/C++ Eclipse Luna package and I have installed Runtime 8.1.0_25. I have added the vm argument to my .ini as noted on this forum as such ....-vm
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jre1.8.0_25.jre/Contents/Home/bin/java
-vmargs
Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.7 .....

I was initially having trouble with the runtime update which made setting that version in the .ini file not match. I have since corrected that and have the current update in the correct directory.

Again, I'm pretty new to Mac and more specifically their filing system and permissions. So what am I missing? I have spent HOURS googling and reading and I'm about to give up on Eclipse altogether Sad
Re: Eclipse C/C++ won't start [message #1471979 is a reply to message #1470928] Thu, 13 November 2014 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
As the wiki page says, be very careful about the formatting of your eclipse.ini - specifically the -vm option is on 2 separate lines.
Re: Eclipse C/C++ won't start [message #1472239 is a reply to message #1471979] Thu, 13 November 2014 18:19 Go to previous message
yes, I did that, my cut and paste didn't make that obvious
-vm
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jre1.8.0_25.jre/Contents/Home/bin/java
Previous Topic:History Tab appears, but no history
Next Topic:Toolbar dropdown problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:49:41 GMT 2024