Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EMFStore] Composite operations
[EMFStore] Composite operations [message #1456970] Thu, 30 October 2014 22:41 Go to next message
Roza Ghamari is currently offline Roza GhamariFriend
Messages: 82
Registered: January 2013
Member
Is there any documents or links showing how we can use composite operation concept? We have a UI action where we clone a whole set of about 16K objects, right now about 30K operation is recorded for this command. Could you please explain how I can use the composite operation for such usecase? I couldn't find any documents online.
Re: [EMFStore] Composite operations [message #1457687 is a reply to message #1456970] Fri, 31 October 2014 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Roza,

sorry, there is no documentation available on the composite operations
since they are not in the external API.
How did you find out about this concept? What do you intend to do with it?

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 30.10.2014 23:41, schrieb Roza Ghamari:
> Is there any documents or links showing how we can use composite
> operation concept? We have a UI action where we clone a whole set of
> about 16K objects, right now about 30K operation is recorded for this
> command. Could you please explain how I can use the composite operation
> for such usecase? I couldn't find any documents online.


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get Professional Eclipse Support: http://eclipsesource.com/munich
Re: [EMFStore] Composite operations [message #1457817 is a reply to message #1457687] Fri, 31 October 2014 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roza Ghamari is currently offline Roza GhamariFriend
Messages: 82
Registered: January 2013
Member

Hi Maximilian

I believe the first time I heard it from you, but I also did some google search and I saw some posts. Unfortunately, I didn't get enough to be able to understand how to exactly use it.

For our case, we have some operations that includes many changes. However, we want to wrap all these changes in one operation, to save time in commit/update/merge and to make sure the operation is atomic.

Can you give us some pointer on how we can find more info about this feature?

Thanks,
Roza
Re: [EMFStore] Composite operations [message #1463406 is a reply to message #1457817] Thu, 06 November 2014 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Roza,

you could look at the source code in ProjectSpaceImpl:
http://download.eclipse.org/emfstore/releases_14/javadoc/org/eclipse/emf/emfstore/internal/client/model/impl/ProjectSpaceBase.html#beginCompositeOperation()
It is used to start composite operations, that atomically wrap several
other operations (changes). It returns a Handle object to be able to
close or abort the composite operation.

Cheers,
Maximilian



Am 31.10.2014 19:48, schrieb Roza Ghamari:
>
> Hi Maximilian
>
> I believe the first time I heard it from you, but I also did some google
> search and I saw some posts. Unfortunately, I didn't get enough to be
> able to understand how to exactly use it.
>
> For our case, we have some operations that includes many changes.
> However, we want to wrap all these changes in one operation, to save
> time in commit/update/merge and to make sure the operation is atomic.
> Can you give us some pointer on how we can find more info about this
> feature?
> Thanks,
> Roza
>


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get Professional Eclipse Support: http://eclipsesource.com/munich
Re: [EMFStore] Composite operations [message #1477702 is a reply to message #1463406] Tue, 18 November 2014 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roza Ghamari is currently offline Roza GhamariFriend
Messages: 82
Registered: January 2013
Member
Hi Maximilian,

I tried using the beginCompositeOpetration and I see that there is a handle and it basically groups all my operations under one operation. But what I would like to see is to avoid all those suboperations to be stored as separate objects in the change package and have one operation object for all of them. Because in our clone operation we have about 16k operations (including creating new objects setting references and attributes) the change package is very heavy. As a result it effects memory consumption and performance for most of the operations.

Do you know how I can wrap these basic set/create/add operations in one single operation? I tried using IUndoableOperation and EMFCompositeOperation but didn't have any success, every time I see all the changes stored separately as one operation. I attached the screen shot of history browser that shows the composite operation and all the operations under it.


Thanks,
Roza
  • Attachment: Untitled.png
    (Size: 108.05KB, Downloaded 119 times)
Re: [EMFStore] Composite operations [message #1481919 is a reply to message #1477702] Fri, 21 November 2014 10:26 Go to previous message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Messages: 253
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

as you point out correctly, Composite Operations only group all basic
operations into one operation which is handled atomically during
conflict detection and merge. This is the intended functionality.
To create one single operation just by creating a composite operation is
conceptually not possible. You need to store the information about the
fine-grained changes somewhere. However it is often possible to reduce
the number of operations in a composite (e.g. by normalizing or by
regrouping your changes). However this is not a feature that is publicly
available.

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 18.11.2014 04:59, schrieb Roza Ghamari:
> Hi Maximilian,
>
> I tried using the beginCompositeOpetration and I see that there is a handle and it basically groups all my operations under one operation. But what I would like to see is to avoid all those suboperations to be stored as separate objects in the change package and have one operation object for all of them. Because in our clone operation we have about 16k operations (including creating new objects setting references and attributes) the change package is very heavy. As a result it effects memory consumption and performance for most of the operations.
>
> Do you know how I can wrap these basic set/create/add operations in one single operation? I tried using IUndoableOperation and EMFCompositeOperation but didn't have any success, every time I see all the changes stored separately as one operation. I attached the screen shot of history browser that shows the composite operation and all the operations under it.
>
>
> Thanks,
> Roza
>


--
Maximilian Kögel

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Previous Topic:How to get the Velement from EStructuralFeature or from ViewModelContext In ECP.
Next Topic:[Edapt] Dependant metamodels
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Apr 08 05:48:55 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01888 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top