Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtext Orion Plugin
Xtext Orion Plugin [message #1456345] Thu, 30 October 2014 09:05 Go to next message
Luca Andreaoli is currently offline Luca AndreaoliFriend
Hello everyone
I write because I am a beginner with Xtext and Eclipse Orion.
I am writing to ask your advice on a problem.
I have access to a grammar written in Xtext and once created the artifact I have a metamodel ecore.
you can have a plugin from a metamodel ecore? to use it in the editor of Orion eclipse.
Or at least you have the documentation to try to enter xtext orion eclipse?
Thanks
Luca
Re: Xtext Orion Plugin [message #1461123 is a reply to message #1456345] Tue, 04 November 2014 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sven Efftinge is currently offline Sven EfftingeFriend
Hi Luca,

it is currently a bit of work to get an orion editor working with an Xtext backend, but certainly possible.
You basically need to run the Xtext infrastructure on the server and provide rest services for validation, content assist, etc.
Those services must be called from with Orion. We are working on out-of-the-box support, such that this would getting much easier, but we are not there yet.

Best Regards,
Sven
Re: Xtext Orion Plugin [message #1464325 is a reply to message #1456345] Fri, 07 November 2014 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holger Schill is currently offline Holger SchillFriend
Hi Luca,

currently we have two prototypes. One that is working directly with Orion and one that communicates through Eclipse Flux.
Beside the fact that the Flux based solutions sends only deltas and the other one the whole document it's pritty much the same.

When working with Orion there is no need to use the Orion Server and embedd a plugin there. You can simply use Orion as a JavaScript library to implement a web based editor with all it's features.
Flux communicates with Websockets and JSON. Our other prototype uses JSON and JQuery with async calls against an embedded Jetty in Eclipse.

As Sven said we will put some additional effort in that to make is simple and easy to consume. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Holger

--
Need professional support for Eclipse Modeling?
Go visit: http://xtext.itemis.com
Re: Xtext Orion Plugin [message #1468190 is a reply to message #1464325] Mon, 10 November 2014 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luca Andreaoli is currently offline Luca AndreaoliFriend
ok ... thank you
but reducing a bit the problem, if I wanted to write just an editor who had the Syntax Highlighter and Content Assist, and recognize my personal grammar written using Xtext. Where should I start? Do you have any suggestions?
thanks again
Re: Xtext Orion Plugin [message #1469663 is a reply to message #1468190] Tue, 11 November 2014 20:11 Go to previous message
Holger Schill is currently offline Holger SchillFriend
Hi Luca,

syntaxhighlighting should not be the problem as you can hard code it with JavaScript. The default implementation for Java comes with Orion and is hard coded, too.
SymanticHighlingting is a completely different thing and you need an AST for that. Same is true for the contentAssist. If you want to have only keywords as proposals you can go the hard coded way, too.
For everything you where you need an AST for you need to run parts of eclipse somewhere.

Cheers,
Holger

--
Need professional support for Eclipse Modeling?
Go visit: http://xtext.itemis.com
Previous Topic:Errors running builder 'Xtext Project Builder' on project
Next Topic:Linking in Xtend - different proxy URIs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:50:04 GMT 2024