Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » ETL performance while deleting model elements
ETL performance while deleting model elements [message #1449813] Tue, 21 October 2014 21:27 Go to next message
Alan A is currently offline Alan AFriend
Hello,

i am deleting model elements using one of the following methods:

delete someElement;
someModel.deleteElement(element);

but both of them are very slow since i am deleting over 30 or 40 elements this way. Is there a way to empty the whole model instantly in EOL/ETL without having to delete every single element manually?

Thanks in advance.
Alan
Re: ETL performance while deleting model elements [message #1450451 is a reply to message #1449813] Wed, 22 October 2014 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Alan,

Could you please try the latest interim version and let me know if the problem persists?

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: ETL performance while deleting model elements [message #1450554 is a reply to message #1450451] Wed, 22 October 2014 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dimitris,

i tried version latest version from http://download.eclipse.org/epsilon/interim/ which is "1.2.0.201410101235" but it didn't resolve the issue.

A college of mine suggested that it is due to the validations Epsilon runs after each model update (deletion of model elements in this case). Is there a way to tell Epsilon not to do the validation till all deletion operations are finished? Or there is something else possibly causing this?
Re: ETL performance while deleting model elements [message #1450760 is a reply to message #1450554] Wed, 22 October 2014 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Alan,

Epsilon doesn't run any validations. We had a similar issue a few days ago and after some profiling it appears that most of the time spent during deletion is down to EMF (I suspect that it checks all the references that could potentially point to the deleted object in the model so that it can remove it from them too). Instead of clearing the model would it be an option to populate a new empty model instead?

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: ETL performance while deleting model elements [message #1451092 is a reply to message #1450760] Thu, 23 October 2014 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Dimitris, i am reading the model from a file upon start, so in this case do you mean creating a new model in memory then populating it and saving it to the file that was read at the beginning? If yes, i guess you mean i should use something like:

delete oldRootModel;
var newUmlModel := new MyModel;
oldRootModel = newUmlModel;

or i have to call "save" explicitly on the new model?
Re: ETL performance while deleting model elements [message #1451390 is a reply to message #1451092] Thu, 23 October 2014 19:15 Go to previous message

Hi Alan,

I'm not sure I completely understand your use case so before I make any more - potentially misleading - suggestions could you please put together a minimal example I can run on my end [1]?

Cheers,
Dimitris

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/articles/minimal-examples/

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2014 19:15]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:[EOL] [EVL] Escape character
Next Topic:[Eugenia] Adding association role details to class diagram editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:03:13 GMT 2024