Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Broken plugin troubles
Broken plugin troubles [message #1439894] Tue, 07 October 2014 16:47 Go to next message
FFFF RRRR is currently offline FFFF RRRRFriend
Hi all,

I have a problem with a borked plugin installation. I had the Maven m2e plugin installed but it had problems with the project I wanted to use it for. The problems were related to a configuration error I thought, but I couldn't find out how to reset those options. So I tried to uninstall the plugin.

This however always failed because of supposed dependencies. (I installed no other plugin except this one, great that newer plugins I never installed depend on it now). Eventually I tried to manually delete the plugin and that only made things worse. Now the plugin's functions are gone, but it's STILL listed in the software marketplace manager thing. Uninstall still fails for the same reason as before, but now I also can't redownload it because it's supposedly up to date (ha-ha).

I also tried to delete Eclipse entirely but it seems the plugin info is stored outside of the eclipse folder.... why don't you offer a proper installer/uninstaller when the programm isn't truly a portable installation?

Needless to say I still have to fix this plugin issue. Can someone help me fix this?
Re: Broken plugin troubles [message #1440542 is a reply to message #1439894] Wed, 08 October 2014 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
A few points:

You can try running Eclipse with the -clean option on the command line (or in the desktop shortcut if that's how you launch Eclipse). That will do some cleanup of cached information about installed features/plugins.

As you've learned, don't go mucking around with Eclipse's internal structures behind its back, doing so is asking for trouble. The plugin dependency management and resolution is a very complex component and thus keeps careful track of what's been installed.

Each Eclipse installation is self-contained, although workspaces are independent of that. In other words, there no reason that installing a new instance of Eclipse should interfere with any other instance you have or had. As long as you don't try to install Eclipse on top of another installation - always completely remove or install to a different location.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 October 2014 13:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Broken plugin troubles [message #1440649 is a reply to message #1440542] Wed, 08 October 2014 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the reply.

Yeah I tried the -clean option, unfortunately it didn't help.

I did try to install it as cleanly as possible. I deleted the folder with the old installation and made a new one fresh from the eclipse-java-luna-SR1-win32-x86_64.zip file. Still, it thinks that it already has the plugin installed, when that should no longer be the case. Should I also delete my workspace?
Re: Broken plugin troubles [message #1440655 is a reply to message #1440649] Wed, 08 October 2014 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Eclipse IDE for Java Developers package comes with m2e, I don't know why you think it "should no longer be the case." Those packages are assembled and tested very carefully, and it's not surprising that trying to remove something from a package would fail because of other dependencies.
Re: Broken plugin troubles [message #1440661 is a reply to message #1440655] Wed, 08 October 2014 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, that would be the source of the confusion.

See, I came across Maven for the first time and a friend told me that there are Eclipse plugins for it. So I searched for them on the net instead of just dumping the project I wanted to compile into Eclipse. The m2e homepage said "drag this here into your workspace to install". So I did that and henceforth assumed that I had manually installed that plugin. It wasn't clear to me that it had been there all along. I'm sorry for the confusion.
Re: Broken plugin troubles [message #1440679 is a reply to message #1440661] Wed, 08 October 2014 17:52 Go to previous message
No worries, this is the "newcomers" forum after all, it's expected that people asking questions here won't be gurus (yet).
By the way, when you dragged the Install icon into your Eclipse, it might have done an upgrade since the version you had could have been behind the latest version. I'm pretty sure Eclipse's installation dialog would have mentioned that, but it could be easy to miss.
Previous Topic:Array braces formatting
Next Topic:Gtk cannot open display
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 16 00:33:20 GMT 2019