Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Carriage return on papyrus objects(Is the carriage return available in papyrus objects ?)
icon7.gif  Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1431295] Thu, 25 September 2014 13:30 Go to next message
Philip LOUCOPOULOS is currently offline Philip LOUCOPOULOSFriend
Hello,

Is it possible when writting in an object in a diagram in Papyrus (like an action in a activity diagramm) to perform a carriage return (to have the description in 2 lines or more) ?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Philip
Re: Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1431466 is a reply to message #1431295] Thu, 25 September 2014 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

The text associated with a diagram element, such as an action, is its name - and it should be descriptive of the object. Unfortunately, the text used for the name does not appear to be made to wrap and, as you found out, to accept line breaks.

If you want a longer description for that action, you could add a comment to the diagram and link it to the corresponding model element. Comments will accept line breaks and will also wrap text. Would that be sufficient?

/Charles Rivet
Re: Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1431810 is a reply to message #1431466] Fri, 26 September 2014 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philip LOUCOPOULOS is currently offline Philip LOUCOPOULOSFriend
Yes, this is a good idea !

Thank you Charles.

Philip
Re: Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1714178 is a reply to message #1431810] Tue, 10 November 2015 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luís de Sousa is currently offline Luís de SousaFriend
Hi everyone,

I have a few activities with long names (e.g. verb action and object) that are to fit on single line but would make much sense as comments. Is it already possible to use line breaks in graphical elements names with Papyrus?

Thank you.
Re: Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1714241 is a reply to message #1714178] Wed, 11 November 2015 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Agreed, word wrap on Classifier names in Diagram Editor would be great! I found out it's an assigned enhancement:

Bug 361852 - [All Diagram] Papyrus should support optional word/line wrapping

[Updated on: Wed, 11 November 2015 06:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1725664 is a reply to message #1714241] Sun, 06 March 2016 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if there is any progress on word wrap in diagrams? I can see status for bug below is 'Unconfirmed', but I still can't get my diagrams to show word wrap

Thank you!

477994 Papyrus Diagram mdt-papyrus-inbox@eclipse.org UNCO --- Need a word wrap toggle menu for Classifiers in diagrams
Re: Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1725863 is a reply to message #1725664] Tue, 08 March 2016 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc-Florian Wendland is currently offline Marc-Florian WendlandFriend
Hi guys,

whereas I have no opinion whatsoever on line breaks in class names or activities, I would highly appreciate the ability to wrap names of associations ends (without adding a carriage return - I agree that carriage returns in names do not make much sense). In many diagrams, the names of associations ends with all the modifiers (which are sometimes required, because the visualize crucial information about the underlying model) are far too long to be displayed nicely.

Papyrus would heavily benefit with respect to usability, if wrapping of long names was possible.

My two cents on that matter.

Marc-Florian
Re: Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1725881 is a reply to message #1725863] Tue, 08 March 2016 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

What's the problem with CarriageReturn (or rather NewLine)? It's a great
formatting character that is fully supported by UML and OCL >= 2.3; no
characters are prohibited. Association names can be ridiculously long.
Even class names such as TemplateParameterSubstitution are awkward and
get worse when compounded as an Iterator/List/...

Obviously newlines cannot be used in C++/Java identifiers, but there are
many characters that must be mangled to create valid Java identifiers,
so not an additional problem.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 08/03/2016 07:07, Marc-Florian Wendland wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> whereas I have no opinion whatsoever on line breaks in class names or
> activities, I would highly appreciate the ability to wrap names of
> associations ends (without adding a carriage return - I agree that
> carriage returns in names do not make much sense). In many diagrams,
> the names of associations ends with all the modifiers (which are
> sometimes required, because the visualize crucial information about
> the underlying model) are far too long to be displayed nicely.
> Papyrus would heavily benefit with respect to usability, if wrapping
> of long names was possible.
>
> My two cents on that matter.
>
> Marc-Florian
Re: Carriage return on papyrus objects [message #1725957 is a reply to message #1725881] Tue, 08 March 2016 15:57 Go to previous message
At semantic level, many classifiers may have long names to match what the users are seeing in real life: especially Actors and Use Cases can have long names and if they don't show the audience may have trouble following. Diagrams are to communicate with other stakeholders...
Previous Topic:Change font globally in papyrus
Next Topic:[CSS] Control stereotype display in figure label
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:58:29 GMT 2024