Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How do I use an alternate toolchain?
How do I use an alternate toolchain? [message #1423278] Sun, 14 September 2014 06:17
Paul DeRocco is currently offline Paul DeRoccoFriend
Running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Luna 4.4.0, CDT 8.4.0.

I just downloaded and built GCC 4.9.1, which now resides in /usr/local/gcc4.9.1 .

How do I get CDT to use it instead of the 4.6 compiler that comes with it? I tried editing the PATH variable in the project settings, under C/C++ Build -> Environment so that the aforementioned directory appears first, and that does indeed cause it to run the new compiler, but it's still finding the old includes/libraries.

I found out how to make the C/C++ Build -> Discovery Options panel appear, and I tried clicking Clear, but that did bupkis. I also note there is a little warning at the bottom saying "This discovery method is deprecated, use 'Preprocessor Include Paths' instead." So I go to C/C++ General -> Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc., and under Entries, I can find for GNU C++ "CDT GCC Built-in Compiler Settings". But since it's marked Shared, it says "Setting entries for this provider are supplied by the system and not editable."

How does anyone make sense of this, without being a guru? What's a "provider"? What "system" is supplying these entries? And if I open that entry, theres a big long list of stuff; am I supposed to type in an alternate big long list of stuff somewhere? I think I understand what "discovery" means, and it sounds like exactly what I want. So why is it "deprecated"?

In short, what do I do now, to get it to use my new compiler properly?
Previous Topic:CDT does not instruct GDB to load shared library sources
Next Topic:Configuration "Default" uses tool-chain "MinGW GCC" that is unsupported on this
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:15:02 GMT 2024