Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Not able to setup smartHome from sources
Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1419749] Tue, 09 September 2014 03:27 Go to next message
Subramaniam Chanderashekarapuram is currently offline Subramaniam ChanderashekarapuramFriend
Hi All,

I just started using the eclipse Smarthome project and am trying to go through the setup as mentioned here (ide.md from the smarthome github page). However, I am not able to get past Step 6.
After the import is done, you have to select the target platform by selecting Window->Preferences->Plug-in Development->Target Platform->smarthome from the main menu. Ignore compilation problems at this step.

In my Eclipse IDE (Luna) I do not see Plug-in option under preferences. Am I missing some software component? Any input would be helpful.

Thank you and Regards
Subbu
Re: Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1420584 is a reply to message #1419749] Wed, 10 September 2014 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Hi Subbu,

Did you setup your Eclipse through the Yoxos profile as described in step 2? It sounds to me as if you are using a "plain" Eclipse IDE, which does not have PDE installed at all.

Regards,
Kai
Re: Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1420852 is a reply to message #1420584] Wed, 10 September 2014 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Subramaniam Chanderashekarapuram is currently offline Subramaniam ChanderashekarapuramFriend
Hi Kai,

Thank you for your reply. True I did use plain eclipse IDE! I wasnt aware of the Yoxos. Havent used Eclipse in years!!! In any case. I got past that after installing the PDE and then again after installing MWE2 and doing a clean build. I was able to finish until Step 7. Now for step 8 and beyond I am not sure what has to be done and how to go about it. I tried openHab previously and wanted to setup ESH. Is there some demo mode that I can try with ESH?

Thank you in advance
Best Regards
Subbu
Re: Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1422233 is a reply to message #1420852] Fri, 12 September 2014 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> Now for step 8 and beyond I am not sure what has to be done and how to go about it.
If you do not see any errors in your workspace, than everything is fine and you don't have to do anything. Otherwise use the menu "Project->clean..." to recompile the projects.

Once your workspace compiles, you can use the "SmartHome Runtime" launch configuration to start up an example demo runtime. Note that ESH is just a framework and not a complete product/solution. If you are looking for the latter, better have a look at openHAB2.

Regards,
Kai
Re: Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1424706 is a reply to message #1422233] Tue, 16 September 2014 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Kai,

Thank you for the info. I am currently looking at openHAB2 along with the android app to get familiarized with the infrastructure. Would like to get comfortable with that before I move on to use ESH.

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I have a quick question on openHAB2 bindling support for BLE nodes. Is there a BLE binding that exists today on openHAB2? I did see a google groups topic on this one but I think that was dated an year back.

Best Regards
Subbu
Re: Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1424889 is a reply to message #1424706] Tue, 16 September 2014 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Subbu,

No, there is no BLE binding in ESH nor openHAB2 at the moment. Do you know any standard Java APIs / libraries for dealing with BLE?

Regards,
Kai
Re: Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1425728 is a reply to message #1424889] Wed, 17 September 2014 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Kai,

Thank you for your response. I was under the impression that we should be implementing our own APIs to deal with that! No?. I am no expert though.

Best Regards
Subbu
Re: Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1425789 is a reply to message #1419749] Wed, 17 September 2014 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, the API might depend on the BLE dongle your are using - at least I am not aware of any "standardized" way to do BLE communication in Java.
Re: Not able to setup smartHome from sources [message #1431005 is a reply to message #1425789] Thu, 25 September 2014 05:04 Go to previous message
Hi Kai,

Thanks for your email. Will check more in that front. One of my colleagues is looking into just BLE (nothing to do with JAVA as such). Shall keep you posted in case we make any progress.

BR
Subbu
Previous Topic:ESH build issues
Next Topic:Cast Hue Bridge Exception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:17:47 GMT 2024