Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Tooltips on Table rows/cells
Tooltips on Table rows/cells [message #1412139] Mon, 25 August 2014 11:40 Go to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
For our application we would like to show tooltips on table rows and/or table cells when the user hovers the mouse over them.

I've succesfully added tooltips to column headers by defining the columns getConfiguredHeaderTooltipText().

Looking at ways to set a tooltip on the row and/or cell, the only thing I found was using execDecorateCell(Cell cell, ITableRow row) and then calling
cell.setTooltipText()

However, the tooltips I set this way are never shown using my SWT client.

Is there something additional that I need to add? Or is this a bug?
Re: Tooltips on Table rows/cells [message #1412257 is a reply to message #1412139] Mon, 25 August 2014 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Can you check if it related with bug 434413?

From what I can understand you can activate Tooltip on Tables in SWT with the Look and Feel SWT Property: table.multilineTooltipSupport.enabled

I am not sure what the side effects of these settings are.
Re: Tooltips on Table rows/cells [message #1412424 is a reply to message #1412257] Tue, 26 August 2014 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like that bug describes exactly what I am seeing. Unfortunately, setting this property makes no difference at all, the tooltips are still not shown Sad

Any other ideas on how to make them show? Should this work for Kepler, too? Or does the fix only work for Luna?

[Updated on: Tue, 26 August 2014 05:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tooltips on Table rows/cells [message #1412457 is a reply to message #1412424] Tue, 26 August 2014 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
I am sorry I did not try it myself (I just knew about this bug. In my project we did not try the proposed workaround and solve the problem in another way). I will ping Matthias Nick and hope he can provide an answer next week.

Re: Tooltips on Table rows/cells [message #1414784 is a reply to message #1412457] Mon, 01 September 2014 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Nick is currently offline Matthias NickFriend
Hi Urs,
as much as I can remember, the tooltips are only shown if the text does not fit into the row. If the text does fit in the row, no tooltip is shown.
Did you test if the tootlip is shown if the text does not fit?

PS: Hint for debugging, here is the method which should be invoked:
org.eclipse.scout.rt.ui.swt.basic.table.SwtScoutTable.P_MultilineTooltipListener.handleEvent(Event)

Best regards,
Matthias

[Updated on: Tue, 02 September 2014 06:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Tooltips on Table rows/cells [message #1419383 is a reply to message #1414784] Mon, 08 September 2014 14:21 Go to previous message
Ok, after some testing I can say the following:
- for SmartColumns, the cell shows the tooltip defined in the corresponding LookupCall/LookupService's LookupRow object
- for all other columns: any cell on which I did a cell.setTooltipText() never shows a tooltip, no matter if the text fits or not
- for all other columns: any cell on which no tooltip was explicitely set, a tooltip appears if the column is not wide enough to show the text, in which case a tooltip containing the text content of the cell is shown

So it seems that it *is* possible to show cell tooltips (after all, the SmartColumn succesfully does it), but doing so using cell.setTooltipText() breaks something (because after that not even the normal "text does not fit" tooltip works.

After discussing this with Andy Hoegger, I have opened the following bug: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=443508
Previous Topic:Detecting when a Form-in-a-View is closed
Next Topic:Tree & visibility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:30:13 GMT 2024