Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Do I Have the Correct Version of Eclipse(Cannot plug Jess into Eclipse)
Do I Have the Correct Version of Eclipse [message #1408574] Fri, 15 August 2014 12:48 Go to next message
David Rogers is currently offline David RogersFriend
I have successfully installed Eclipse Luna 4.4.0 on a Win 7 machine. I am trying (unsuccessfully) to plug Jess, which is written in Java, into Eclipse. The Jess installation instructions state the following:

"
The Jess Developer's Environment (JessDE) is supplied as a set of plugins for the popular open-source IDE Eclipse; in particular, these are plugins for Eclipse version 3.1 or later. Note that the JessDE works only with the full "Eclipse SDK" -- the smaller "Platform Runtime Binary" is insufficient.

To install the JessDE, simply exit Eclipse, unzip all the files from Jess70p2/eclipse into the top-level Eclipse installation directory. Confirm that a directory named "plugins/gov.sandia.jess_7.0.0" exists under your Eclipse installation directory, and then restart Eclipse.
"
- I have Eclipse Luna Release (4.4.0), Build id: 20140612-0600. Is this the one I should use, the full Eclipse SDK, not the binary?

Note: In the resulting Eclipse directory the directory gov.sandia.jess_7.1.0 does NOT exist; but it and 4 other gov.sandia.jess.* directories DO exist under C:\Users
David\Eclipse\Jess71p22\eclipse.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Re: Do I Have the Correct Version of Eclipse [message #1409860 is a reply to message #1408574] Tue, 19 August 2014 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You're jumbling a lot of topics up.

Luna represents a simultaneous release, a point in time where many different projects released versions meant to work together all at once and in discrete combinations--packages. The one version number alone doesn't indicate what you have installed.

The Eclipse SDK download can be found at http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops4/R-4.4-201406061215/ . It is not a just a zip of sources, it also contains all of the tools needed to write Plug-ins for Eclipse.

The "Standard" package on http://download.eclipse.org might also work, but like I said, we don't know which one you downloaded.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Do I Have the Correct Version of Eclipse [message #1409961 is a reply to message #1409860] Tue, 19 August 2014 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will work the link you referred me to. Thanks.
I put the following material out on Stackoverflow for help from the Jess folks, but have yet to receive any response.

"I have a Win 7 Professional machine.

I downloaded Eclipse, eclipse-standard-luna-R-win32-x86_64. Worked successfully with some of its tutorials, but cannot get Jess in it as a plugin. Note: Jess in the command (DOS) box works.

Also in my C:\Users\David\Downloads directory I have a) jess, an executable Jar File and b) Jess71p2, a WinZip File.
Under C:\Users\David\Eclipse I have following subdirectories: eclipse, jess, Jess71p2, META-INF, xmlsrc.
Under eclipse there are configuration, dropins, features, p2, plugins .... . dropins is empty, plugins has many (org.x, com.x but no gov.sandia.x)

Under jess there are directories awt, factory, jsr94, server swing, tools and xml and many class files.

Under Jess71p2 there are directories bin, docs, eclipse, examples, lib. Under its eclipse directory are gov.sandia.jess.debug_7.1.0, gov.sandia.jess.editor_7.1.0, gov.sandia.jess.feature_7.1.0, gov.sandia.jess.reteview_7.1.0, and gov.sandia.jess_7.1.0. (They appear to be in the wrong directory?)

I tried to install the JessDE by using 7-Zip, Extract files. I call up Eclipse, using C:\Users\David\workspace clean. Under Help About Eclipse there are no Jess-related plugins. No Jess editor.

Did I download the Eclipse runtime binary? If so, I cannot find any distinction in the Eclipse site for choosing a "full Eclipse SDK," which I assume is source and not binary, and the Platform Runtime Binary.

Or did I extract incorrectly using 7-Zip?

Within Eclipse documentation I found a Platform Plug-in Developer guide, tried to use it to guide me thru pluging in Jess, but gave up as there was a choice to make that I couldn't decide and, after trying unsuccessfully to do one, gave up.

I have tried several things but nothing works and the above description is of the current state of this mess. Would appreciate your help."
Re: Do I Have the Correct Version of Eclipse [message #1409963 is a reply to message #1409961] Tue, 19 August 2014 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse Standard/SDK

Version: Luna Release (4.4.0)
Build id: 20140612-0600
Re: Do I Have the Correct Version of Eclipse [message #1411940 is a reply to message #1409963] Sun, 24 August 2014 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I received a response from the JESS leader. He said that:
"The eclipse tools haven't been tested with eclipse 4.4 and probably don't work. To install them in eclipse 3, copy all the gov.sandia.jess.* files to the eclipse plugins folder, except the "feature" one, which goes in the features folder"

- tried that; no luck. Have decided to give up on JESS in Eclipse. Maybe it will work on a Mac; may test this out on a friend's mac/

Thanks for your interest in helping me.
Re: Do I Have the Correct Version of Eclipse [message #1411941 is a reply to message #1411940] Sun, 24 August 2014 23:15 Go to previous message
No Message Body
Previous Topic:testNG seems to not work correctly anymore in eclipse
Next Topic:Dennis Roy: I seem to be getting strange links...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:24:04 GMT 2024