Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to make your own tab indentation size(Tabs are far too hard to set)
How to make your own tab indentation size [message #1388694] Thu, 26 June 2014 20:38 Go to next message
Dave Slomer is currently offline Dave SlomerFriend
All you have to do is stumble onto a page where you can Edit an existing profile.

Or in Eclipse "help", search for java editor TYPING PREFERENCES and follow the link atop the page, which opens a window titled "Typing". Click Java > Editor > Typing and look for a link under the topic "Indentation" to the "Formatter" preference page.

There, click Java > Code style > Formatter and EDIT THE ACTIVE PROFILE, MAKING WHATEVER CHANGES YOU NEED, THEN SAVE IT UNDER A NEW NAME.

As it turned out, my tabs STILL weren't right until I exited the IDE and restarted.

It really shouldn't be this hard.

index.php/fa/18381/0/

index.php/fa/18383/0/

index.php/fa/18384/0/
  • Attachment: 0a.PNG
    (Size: 80.13KB, Downloaded 739 times)
  • Attachment: 0b.PNG
    (Size: 79.35KB, Downloaded 689 times)
  • Attachment: 0c.PNG
    (Size: 79.38KB, Downloaded 680 times)
Re: How to make your own tab indentation size [message #1388732 is a reply to message #1388694] Thu, 26 June 2014 21:56 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Are you sure you didn't just need to close and reopen the editor within Eclipse? Regardless, it's this hard because historically it's been something that appeared to be adjustable from multiple places in the UI, and causing endless (and repeated) confusion over the years. Now there's exactly one place to control how it's supposed to behave--at least for Java sources.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Where do I find how to change indentation using tab key
Next Topic:Hello World SWT - Could not load SWT library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:27:21 GMT 2024