Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » [SOLVED] OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile(BIRT Runtime Issue when running reports.)
[SOLVED] OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1386718] Thu, 19 June 2014 19:46 Go to next message
Kent Johnson is currently offline Kent JohnsonFriend
When I am running a .rptdesign file through the BIRT Viewer I am getting an error that is preventing my report from running.

I am using Postgres 9.2 and version postgresql920jdbc.jar of the PostgreSQL driver jar.

Running the report in the Eclipse designer works just fine. I can even go to the Preview tab and view the report running.

When I first go this error I had to follow the instructions at https://wiki.eclipse.org/Birt_3.7_Migration_Guide to get past the first issue. I set some properties in my $CATALINA_OPTS

export CATALINA_OPTS="$CATALINA_OPTS -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.41/temp/tempdir -Dorg.eclipse.datatools_workspacepath=/usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-7.0.41/temp/tempdir/workspace_dtp"

to take care of the default workspace problem here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14198752/birt-error-unable-to-determine-the-default-workspace-location-in-java

However, now I am getting the issue of the connection profile somehow being bad. Can anyone help point me in the right direction on what to try next?

Here is the full text of the error:
Jun 19, 2014 11:03:45 AM org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.dbprofile.impl.Connection open(Properties)
WARNING: Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile.
org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.OdaException ;
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/datatools/enablement/ibm/util/ClientUtil
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.dbprofile.impl.Connection.open(Connection.java:116)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.dbprofile.impl.Connection.open(Connection.java:62)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaConnection.open(OdaConnection.java:250)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.ConnectionManager.openConnection(ConnectionManager.java:165)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSource.newConnection(DataSource.java:224)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSource.open(DataSource.java:212)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.DataSourceRuntime.openOdiDataSource(DataSourceRuntime.java:217)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryExecutor.openDataSource(QueryExecutor.java:435)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryExecutor.prepareExecution(QueryExecutor.java:322)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedQuery.doPrepare(PreparedQuery.java:463)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedDataSourceQuery.produceQueryResults(PreparedDataSourceQuery.java:190)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedDataSourceQuery.execute(PreparedDataSourceQuery.java:178)
at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedOdaDSQuery.execute(PreparedOdaDSQuery.java:178)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.adapter.impl.DataRequestSessionImpl.execute(DataRequestSessionImpl.java:637)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.GetParameterDefinitionTask.executeQuery(GetParameterDefinitionTask.java:648)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.GetParameterDefinitionTask.getResultSetForParameter(GetParameterDefinitionTask.java:1374)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.GetParameterDefinitionTask.getChoicesFromParameterQuery(GetParameterDefinitionTask.java:1348)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.GetParameterDefinitionTask.doGetSelectionList(GetParameterDefinitionTask.java:521)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.GetParameterDefinitionTask.getSelectionList(GetParameterDefinitionTask.java:451)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.BirtViewerReportService.getParameterSelectionList(BirtViewerReportService.java:821)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.presentation.aggregation.parameter.ComboBoxParameterFragment.prepareParameterBean(ComboBoxParameterFragment.java:91)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.presentation.aggregation.parameter.ScalarParameterFragment.doService(ScalarParameterFragment.java:91)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.presentation.aggregation.AbstractBaseFragment.service(AbstractBaseFragment.java:76)
at org.apache.jsp.webcontent.birt.pages.dialog.ParameterDialogFragment_jsp._jspService(ParameterDialogFragment_jsp.java:116)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:432)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:390)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:334)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:749)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:605)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:544)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.presentation.aggregation.AbstractBaseFragment.service(AbstractBaseFragment.java:82)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.presentation.aggregation.AbstractBaseFragment.callBack(AbstractBaseFragment.java:106)
at org.apache.jsp.webcontent.birt.pages.dialog.DialogContainerFragment_jsp._jspService(DialogContainerFragment_jsp.java:140)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:432)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:749)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:605)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:544)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.presentation.aggregation.AbstractBaseFragment.service(AbstractBaseFragment.java:82)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.presentation.aggregation.AbstractBaseFragment.callBack(AbstractBaseFragment.java:106)
at org.apache.jsp.webcontent.birt.pages.layout.SidebarFragment_jsp._jspService(SidebarFragment_jsp.java:79)
at org.apache.jsp.webcontent.birt.pages.layout.ReportFragment_jsp._jspService(ReportFragment_jsp.java:79)
at org.apache.jsp.webcontent.birt.pages.layout.FramesetFragment_jsp._jspService(FramesetFragment_jsp.java:279)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.presentation.aggregation.layout.FramesetFragment.service(FramesetFragment.java:98)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.ViewerServlet.__doGet(ViewerServlet.java:181)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.doGet(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:160)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.service(AxisServletBase.java:327)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.service(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:122)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.filter.ViewerFilter.doFilter(ViewerFilter.java:68)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:953)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:408)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1023)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:589)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:310)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/datatools/enablement/ibm/util/ClientUtil
at org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.ibm.db2.luw.DB2LUWDriverValuesProvider.locateDB2DriverJars(DB2LUWDriverValuesProvider.java:38)
at org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.ibm.db2.luw.DB2LUWDriverValuesProvider.createDefaultValue(DB2LUWDriverValuesProvider.java:23)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.DriverManager.createDefaultInstance(DriverManager.java:1112)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.DriverManager.createDefaultInstance(DriverManager.java:1004)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.DriverManager.resetDefaultInstances(DriverManager.java:906)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.DriverManager.<init>(DriverManager.java:125)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.DriverManager.getInstance(DriverManager.java:67)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.getDriverDefinition(DriverConnectionBase.java:136)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:100)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)
at org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.internal.postgresql.PostgreSQLJDBCConnection.<init>(PostgreSQLJDBCConnection.java:47)
at org.eclipse.datatools.enablement.internal.postgresql.PostgreSQLConnectionFactory.createConnection(PostgreSQLConnectionFactory.java:51)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:359)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.internal.core.connection.ConnectionInfoImpl.initializeJDBCConnection(ConnectionInfoImpl.java:705)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.internal.core.connection.ConnectionInfoImpl.<init>(ConnectionInfoImpl.java:690)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.internal.core.connection.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:38)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.core.SQMConnectionFactory.createConnection(SQMConnectionFactory.java:45)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.sqm.internal.core.connection.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:59)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryAdapterProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryAdapterProvider.java:114)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ManagedConnection.createConnection(ManagedConnection.java:163)
at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.CreateConnectionJob.run(CreateConnectionJob.java:56)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)

[Updated on: Fri, 20 June 2014 23:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1386729 is a reply to message #1386718] Thu, 19 June 2014 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe C is currently offline Joe CFriend
Hi Kent, some months ago I posted some error similar to you, here is my post: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/668400/1266558/#msg_1266558.

I use postgres too, like you do. I couldn´t solve it, at least in Birt 4.3.1. This problem only happens to me with Eclipse Kepler and Birt 4.3.1. However, with Birt 4.2.2 the problem is not happening. What I do is generating a project with Birt 4.2.2 in a previous version of eclipse (because I have eclipse Juno with Birt 4.2.2) and then use that configuration in Kepler.

It´s the only thing I can say to you. If you get a way to use Birt 4.3.1 without problems, please post the solution. I´ll be grateful.

Re: OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1386807 is a reply to message #1386729] Fri, 20 June 2014 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe, I appreciate the quick reply. I'll try generating the report with BIRT 4.2.2. I am going to do a DIFF on the two files and see what the changes are between 4.2.2 and 4.3.1.
Re: OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1386827 is a reply to message #1386807] Fri, 20 June 2014 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This issue is now SOLVED!

It turns out that the problem was our DATA SOURCE TYPE. When the report designer was selecting the Data Source Type then the "JDBC Database Connection for Query Builder" type was selected. We were getting a lot of issues with IBM JARs not being found and our connection profile being bad. This makes sense as Query Builder is an IBM product.

The problem was solved when we selected the "JDBC Data Source" option in the New Data Source wizard.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2pyb1bq.jpg

This is the forum post that tipped me off as to the root cause of my problem: vinc_thau's post.

I hope this helps the rest who are facing that issue!

[Updated on: Fri, 20 June 2014 23:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1386856 is a reply to message #1386827] Sat, 21 June 2014 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe C is currently offline Joe CFriend
Awesome!! Thanks a lot, Kent. You saved me a lot of time because to have to create birt projects in another eclipse version was very upset for me.

Thanks very much!!
Re: OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1386858 is a reply to message #1386856] Sat, 21 June 2014 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great Joe! Did that help you? I am so glad I could save someone else hours and hours of issues. I would be happy if I helped someone else here on the BIRT forums.

Good luck in your future BIRT endeavors!
Re: OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1531357 is a reply to message #1386827] Sat, 27 December 2014 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haceneyanatfree.fr hacene is currently offline haceneyanatfree.fr haceneFriend
Hi Kent,

Thanks a lot, my reports are now running under tomcat server.
The problem was the type of data source.
The right one to choose is "JDBC Data Source"

Regards.
Re: OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1689805 is a reply to message #1531357] Tue, 24 March 2015 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prathyush S is currently offline Prathyush SFriend
your is issues resolved?. I am also facing same issue can u please check the url https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1689369/#msg_1689369
Re: OdaException - Unable to open a connection with the database connection profile [message #1690760 is a reply to message #1689805] Tue, 31 March 2015 05:51 Go to previous message
keerthi sudha is currently offline keerthi sudhaFriend
Hello all,
Is it possible to solve this problem even by using Query Builder as a data source.
Regards,
Keerthi
Previous Topic:BIRT 2.6.1 running on WAS 8.0.0.5
Next Topic:Adding -select all- option to the parameter values list
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:46:49 GMT 2024