Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » Target platform for ECP and RAP
Target platform for ECP and RAP [message #1386415] Tue, 17 June 2014 12:40 Go to next message
Christian Reuter is currently offline Christian ReuterFriend
Hi,

I am new to ECP and RAP but have been working with RCP and EMF for a while now.

Currently I want to create a RAP application with ECP.
The first step is to get the ecp rap demo up and running but I am struggling with this step for quite a while now.
I imported the demo and created a target platform (used the RAP target platform and added ECP-E4-SDK, ECP-RAP-SDK, Net4J-SDK, EMF-RAP-components and EMF Data Binding) as well as a launch configuration.
The project is error free and the bundle validation of the runtime configuration shows no problems. However I keep getting runtime errors. for example:
org.eclipse.ui.PartInitException: Could not create view: org.eclipse.emf.ecp.ui.ModelRepositoriesView

Obviously there are some plugins missing.
I have tried to add things to my target as well as to the launch config but this seems to take forever using a "try and error" approach, the dependencies list seems to get way too long and I still keep getting runtime errors.

Could anyone please give me some advice what exactly must be contained in the target platform to get the ecp rap demo running?

Is there a smarter way to find out which bundles are required besides "try and error"?

Can I download a working target platform for this use case anywhere or can I find one within any of the ECP bundles?

There are outstanding tutorials on how to use ECP but I could not find any good documentation on how to combine it with RAP. If such a tutorial exists please provide a link.

I am using the Luna and ECP 1.3.0 (build from June 10)

Thx in advance for your help!

chris
Re: Target platform for ECP and RAP [message #1386564 is a reply to message #1386415] Wed, 18 June 2014 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eugen Neufeld is currently offline Eugen NeufeldFriend
Hi Chris,
did you use the ECP RAP Target definition from here: http://git.eclipse.org/c/emfclient/org.eclipse.emf.ecp.core.git/tree/releng/org.eclipse.emf.ecp.target.rap/ecpRAP.target?
There is also a ready to run launch configuration in the ecp repositories: http://git.eclipse.org/c/emfclient/org.eclipse.emf.ecp.core.git/tree/releng/org.eclipse.emf.ecp.releng/ecpRapDemo.launch
Please try this combination. If you encounter any problems please write.

Cheers,
Eugen
Re: Target platform for ECP and RAP [message #1386574 is a reply to message #1386564] Wed, 18 June 2014 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas Helming is currently offline Jonas HelmingFriend
Hi,

Do you want to use ECP or EMF Forms only? If the second, please also be
aware of the following BR:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=429222

Cheers

Jonas

Am 18.06.2014 11:27, schrieb Eugen Neufeld:
> Hi Chris, did you use the ECP RAP Target definition from here:
> http://git.eclipse.org/c/emfclient/org.eclipse.emf.ecp.core.git/tree/releng/org.eclipse.emf.ecp.target.rap/ecpRAP.target?
>
> There is also a ready to run launch configuration in the ecp
> repositories:
> http://git.eclipse.org/c/emfclient/org.eclipse.emf.ecp.core.git/tree/releng/org.eclipse.emf.ecp.releng/ecpRapDemo.launch
>
> Please try this combination. If you encounter any problems please write.
> Cheers,
> Eugen
Re: Target platform for ECP and RAP [message #1386599 is a reply to message #1386574] Wed, 18 June 2014 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Reuter is currently offline Christian ReuterFriend
Thanks for your answers Jonas and Eugen,

In the meantime I have found the target definition and the launch configuration in the git sourcecode repository.
I expected to be able to find both in the same way as it is decribed for the ecp rap source code (extracted from bundles).

I got the RAP version of my model up and running with ECP 1.2.1 in Kepler now.

I am planning to use all of ECP (not just forms) as the requirements of my application are quite clos to what is provided by ECP.

Awesome work this piece of software !!
But may I suggest that someone creates a tutorial on how to get the ecp rap code up and running in practice?
It took me days to find out which will most likely let many early adopters leave in frustration.

Cheers

chris

[Updated on: Wed, 18 June 2014 14:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Target platform for ECP and RAP [message #1387000 is a reply to message #1386599] Mon, 23 June 2014 12:47 Go to previous message
Maximilian Koegel is currently offline Maximilian KoegelFriend
Hi Chris,

thank you for your patience ;)!
This is a good suggestion, we will add a tutorial for RAP.

Cheers,
Maximilian

Am 18.06.2014 16:28, schrieb Missing name Mising name:
> Thanks for your answers Jonas and Eugen,
>
> In the meantime I have found the target definition and the launch
> configuration in the gi sourcecode repository.
> I expected to be able to find both in the same way as it is decribed for
> the ecp rap source code (extracted from bundles).
>
> I got the RAP version of my model up and running with ECP 1.2.1 in
> Kepler now.
>
> Awesome work this piece of software !!
> But may I suggest that someone creates a tutorial on how to get the ecp
> rap code up and running in practice?
> It took me days to find out which will most likely let many early
> adopters leave in frustration.
>
> Cheers
>
> chris
>
>

--
Maximilian Kögel