Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » Newbie alert - Getting started in GEF for an RCP application?
Newbie alert - Getting started in GEF for an RCP application? [message #213332] Wed, 05 April 2006 09:16 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: p.beauvoir.bolton.ac.uk

Hi there,

we're working on a new project that intends to have a GEF-based editor
in an Eclipse RCP application. I have no problems with the RCP part,
but am brand new to the GEF part. Will GEF work straight in an RCP
application or are there further dependencies on the Eclipse Workbench?
What would be the best way to start a basic "Hello World" example?
Basically, I would like to start with an empty RCP application with one
View containing a very basic canvas and palette, and take it from there.

Any pointers much appreciated!

PB
Re: Newbie alert - Getting started in GEF for an RCP application? [message #213340 is a reply to message #213332] Wed, 05 April 2006 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: p.beauvoir.bolton.ac.uk

Phillip Beauvoir wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> we're working on a new project that intends to have a GEF-based editor
> in an Eclipse RCP application. I have no problems with the RCP part,
> but am brand new to the GEF part. Will GEF work straight in an RCP
> application or are there further dependencies on the Eclipse Workbench?
> What would be the best way to start a basic "Hello World" example?
> Basically, I would like to start with an empty RCP application with one
> View containing a very basic canvas and palette, and take it from there.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated!
>
> PB

I meant "...or are there further dependencies on the IDE?"
Re: Newbie alert - Getting started in GEF for an RCP application? [message #213348 is a reply to message #213332] Wed, 05 April 2006 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Schosser is currently offline Andreas SchosserFriend
Messages: 30
Registered: July 2009
Member
Phillip,

You will find some useful links to several tutorials and examples in the
GEF documentation section:
http://www.eclipse.org/gef/reference/articles.html

For me the appendix of the book 'SWT/JFace in action' was very helpful
http://www.manning.com/books/scarpino
It offers a step by step introduction to a very basic GEF editor (as a
plugin based on the Eclipse Platform).

> Will GEF work straight in an RCP application or are there further
> dependencies on the Eclipse Workbench?
Please search in the newsgroup. There is at least one thread about this
topic; the official answer to your question can be found here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/GEF_Developer_FAQ#Can_I_de velop_a_standalone_GEF_application_without_use_of_the_Eclips e_platform.3F

Regards,

Andreas

--
A. Schosser
Mind8 GmbH


Phillip Beauvoir wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> we're working on a new project that intends to have a GEF-based editor
> in an Eclipse RCP application. I have no problems with the RCP part,
> but am brand new to the GEF part. Will GEF work straight in an RCP
> application or are there further dependencies on the Eclipse Workbench?
> What would be the best way to start a basic "Hello World" example?
> Basically, I would like to start with an empty RCP application with one
> View containing a very basic canvas and palette, and take it from there.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated!
>
> PB
Re: Newbie alert - Getting started in GEF for an RCP application? [message #213428 is a reply to message #213332] Wed, 05 April 2006 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: vuml.feradz.com

Hi,
You also may decide to throw a look at eclipse's integrated help about GEF.
There is a topic for GEF "Programmer's Guide" that will give you a general
idea about how GEF works. It was helpful for me. Later you may try to
explore some of the GEF examples e.g. the shapes editor.

Ferad Zyulkyarov

"Phillip Beauvoir" <p.beauvoir@bolton.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:e101sf$7ko$1@utils.eclipse.org...
> Hi there,
>
> we're working on a new project that intends to have a GEF-based editor
> in an Eclipse RCP application. I have no problems with the RCP part,
> but am brand new to the GEF part. Will GEF work straight in an RCP
> application or are there further dependencies on the Eclipse Workbench?
> What would be the best way to start a basic "Hello World" example?
> Basically, I would like to start with an empty RCP application with one
> View containing a very basic canvas and palette, and take it from there.
>
> Any pointers much appreciated!
>
> PB
Re: Newbie alert - Getting started in GEF for an RCP application? [message #213466 is a reply to message #213348] Thu, 06 April 2006 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: p.beauvoir.bolton.ac.uk

A. Schosser wrote:
> Phillip,
>
> You will find some useful links to several tutorials and examples in the
> GEF documentation section:
> http://www.eclipse.org/gef/reference/articles.html
>
> For me the appendix of the book 'SWT/JFace in action' was very helpful
> http://www.manning.com/books/scarpino
> It offers a step by step introduction to a very basic GEF editor (as a
> plugin based on the Eclipse Platform).
>
>> Will GEF work straight in an RCP application or are there further
>> dependencies on the Eclipse Workbench?
> Please search in the newsgroup. There is at least one thread about this
> topic; the official answer to your question can be found here:
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/GEF_Developer_FAQ#Can_I_de velop_a_standalone_GEF_application_without_use_of_the_Eclips e_platform.3F
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Andreas
>
> --A. Schosser
> Mind8 GmbH
>
>
> Phillip Beauvoir wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> we're working on a new project that intends to have a GEF-based editor
>> in an Eclipse RCP application. I have no problems with the RCP part,
>> but am brand new to the GEF part. Will GEF work straight in an RCP
>> application or are there further dependencies on the Eclipse
>> Workbench? What would be the best way to start a basic "Hello World"
>> example? Basically, I would like to start with an empty RCP
>> application with one View containing a very basic canvas and palette,
>> and take it from there.
>>
>> Any pointers much appreciated!
>>
>> PB


Thank-you for your advice.

PB
Re: Newbie alert - Getting started in GEF for an RCP application? [message #213473 is a reply to message #213428] Thu, 06 April 2006 09:06 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: p.beauvoir.bolton.ac.uk

Ferad Zyulkyarov wrote:
> Hi,
> You also may decide to throw a look at eclipse's integrated help about GEF.
> There is a topic for GEF "Programmer's Guide" that will give you a general
> idea about how GEF works. It was helpful for me. Later you may try to
> explore some of the GEF examples e.g. the shapes editor.
>
> Ferad Zyulkyarov
>
> "Phillip Beauvoir" <p.beauvoir@bolton.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:e101sf$7ko$1@utils.eclipse.org...
>> Hi there,
>>
>> we're working on a new project that intends to have a GEF-based editor
>> in an Eclipse RCP application. I have no problems with the RCP part,
>> but am brand new to the GEF part. Will GEF work straight in an RCP
>> application or are there further dependencies on the Eclipse Workbench?
>> What would be the best way to start a basic "Hello World" example?
>> Basically, I would like to start with an empty RCP application with one
>> View containing a very basic canvas and palette, and take it from there.
>>
>> Any pointers much appreciated!
>>
>> PB
>
>

Thank-you for your advice.

PB
Previous Topic:Incorporating GEF components in simple windows or special Perspective? Hints welcome...
Next Topic:Label with a multiLine text not displayed correctly
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Dec 07 00:19:45 GMT 2022

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02312 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top