Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Diagnosing failed CDT install into Eclipse Kepler
Diagnosing failed CDT install into Eclipse Kepler [message #1267466] Sun, 09 March 2014 02:52
Jim DeLaHunt is currently offline Jim DeLaHuntFriend

Hi, folks:

I have an existing Eclipse Kepler installation on an old Mac OS X 10.5.8 machine with Java 6. I've tried installing CDT through the Eclipse Help... Install New Software... menu item, but I was unsuccessful.

I am installing CDT from what I think is the official location:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/kepler

I tried installing (then removing) all three versions of "C/C++ Development Tools" which I found there: 8.3.0.201402142303, 8.2.1.201309180223, and 8.2.0.201306112328. In each case, I observed the following:

• Eclipse says the "C/C++ Development Tools" installed, and there are no installation errors that I could see, but...
  • Menu Window... Open Perspective... Other... has no entry labelled "C/C++ Perspective", while ever other language seems to have at least one perspective in that list
  • Menu File... New... Project... opens a New Project dialogue with a dialogue saying "Select a wizard", but I see no wizard with a name like "C/C++ Project" or "CDT"

Any suggestions for how to diagnose this problem?

Should I expect to see CDT entries in the Perspective and New Project Wizard lists?

I've read through the FAQ and searched the forums, and I haven't come across something which seems to address my case. I do have a related question about system requirements for CDT; I can't see where they are written down, and maybe my old system isn't up to CDT's requirements.

Thanks in advance!

--Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--Jim DeLaHunt, multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver Canada
Running Liclipse. Coding in Python, SQL, PHP, Prolog.
Previous Topic:System requirements for CDT 8.3.0, esp Java 6 vs 7?
Next Topic:C++11 move function
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:53:41 GMT 2024