Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Remote Debugging - Sending support files to Remote System(How do I transfer a configuration file to the remote system at the same time I run a debug session)
Remote Debugging - Sending support files to Remote System [message #1264976] Wed, 05 March 2014 17:01 Go to next message
Stanley Harris is currently offline Stanley HarrisFriend
I am currently developing a small application that does a backup of files and stores the archive/backup. The application (C++) utilizes a configuration file (separate) from the executable. In order to test the application I have set up a separate (remote) system to perform the test and keep separate from the development environment. All systems are running on Debian.

In the past the application utilized default setting imbedded in the executable but I have recently made the switch to a editable configuration file (simple INI format). The application is working fine with out the configuration file but now it is time to test the configuration file version.

I would like to know if there is a method which I can transfer the configuration file at the same time that I debug the application on the remote system. I already have the Remote Debugging setup but I don't know how to send all necessary files over to the remote system without manually transferring it myself. Is it possible to do this in conjunction with executing the Remote Debugging session through Eclipse (Kepler)?
Re: Remote Debugging - Sending support files to Remote System [message #1265066 is a reply to message #1264976] Wed, 05 March 2014 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
In the automatic remote launch you can specify command to run before your application. Maybe you can add the transfer of the file in there. I haven't tried it myself.
https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#How_do_I_debug_a_remote_application.3F

Marc
Re: Remote Debugging - Sending support files to Remote System [message #1265197 is a reply to message #1265066] Wed, 05 March 2014 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stanley Harris is currently offline Stanley HarrisFriend
Marc,

Based on my knowledge of specifying a command to run before executing the application, this would be a command that is run on the remote host (not the development host). Therefore if I were to run a bash script I would have to SSH back to the development system to pull the configuration file from there and place it where it needs to be on the remote host?

Stanley

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2014 20:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Remote Debugging - Sending support files to Remote System [message #1265210 is a reply to message #1265197] Wed, 05 March 2014 20:32 Go to previous message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
I hadn't thought of it, but yes, I believe that is what you would need to do.
The other possibility is to create a script that transfers your file and to call that script from a .gdbinit file.
You can specify that .gdbinit file in your launch Debugger tab.
That way, each time you launch, GDB will first call your script which will transfer the file.
There is a command called 'shell' in GDB that allows you to execute a shell command, which should allow you to call your script.

Marc
Previous Topic:Problem during Eclipse update
Next Topic:Indexer cannot find symbols in local header files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:28:36 GMT 2024