Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » shift-8 shortcut: cant enter a ( in eclipse
shift-8 shortcut: cant enter a ( in eclipse [message #1231956] Wed, 15 January 2014 21:37 Go to next message
Thomas Stracke is currently offline Thomas StrackeFriend
Hello everybody,

am new to programming, new to eclipse, ... not new on reading and writing, though... Wink
installed kepler on a mac osx 10.9 and the scala plugin.
Coding so far would work in general (lots of other questions, of course....) But one of the most pressing things is: I can't by any means (except from copying it from the clipboard) enter an "(" parenthesis, since there are (have been... I unbound them, however, this did not change anything)... since there are shortcuts with shift-8. Shortcut shit-9 works fine (is the ")" closing parenthesis.
Any idea how to solve this? I'm not willing to change the keyboard layout for this reason (use the german layout). I tried to unhook the shortcuts with shift-8, however this did not take effect in so far that I still cannot enter any "(".
Anybody with any idea? Would appreciate this very much! Thanks
by the way: I can enter everything in any other program.

Thomas
Re: shift-8 shortcut: cant enter a ( in eclipse [message #1376041 is a reply to message #1231956] Fri, 23 May 2014 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Gasde is currently offline Chris GasdeFriend
Hello Thomas,

try this one: Shift + Strg + 8

This prints: () on the screen.

I can't get them alone.
But in most cases you need both together...

Chris
Re: shift-8 shortcut: cant enter a ( in eclipse [message #1411448 is a reply to message #1376041] Sat, 23 August 2014 10:44 Go to previous message
Eclipse GuestFriend
Hi Thomas,

a change of the keyboard layout would not help, as then you would not be able to enter another character, which is on Shift+8. For example on an English keyboard it's the "*". So i would recommend to change the command, which is called by Shift+8, to Ctrl+Shift+8. Just look here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/518080/1411446/#msg_1411446 or there: http://scn.sap.com/community/abap/eclipse/blog/2014/08/22/brackets-in-the-source-code

H.t.h.
Stefan
Previous Topic:Eclipse version for Windows Vista/Windows 7(Java)
Next Topic:Re: Variables carried across classes?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:44:28 GMT 2024