Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Using Graphiti to draw projects of a rich domain model
Using Graphiti to draw projects of a rich domain model [message #1231116] Mon, 13 January 2014 21:32
Wouter Hermeling is currently offline Wouter HermelingFriend
I'm not sure to use Graphiti for this. So i'm curious about your thoughts about this.

My use case is as follows.

I want to build a large domain model, with a lot of features. For instance, model a complete server farm and also specify which applications are running on the servers, which interfaces the applications have, i would like to model which business processes are involved and how they are interconnected, etc. etc. This list goes on and on, describing many different aspects creating all kinds of views on a big domain.

Second, and this is the main issue, i want to make different diagrams from this model. Say, in one diagram i'm only interested in the a group of servers running a specific OS. So this would require some filtering and, of course, defining how to draw the servers and its attributes.

In another diagram i would like to draw the applications and maybe the interfaces between them as connections. Or maybe, it would like to draw the business processes and which applications are involved.

So the focus is more on the ability to create diagrams dynamically: enabling the user to make selections (from the domain model) on what to add to the diagram. This i think is perfectly possible using Graphiti. However, the user should also be able to specify what should be drawn as nodes and what should become the connections.

For example, the user should be able to SELECT 'applications' as the nodes for the diagram and SELECT that the 'interfaces' should be used to draw the connections between these nodes. (PS: Am i right when i say that the user is then effectively selecting properties from the model?)

I'm curious about your thoughts about this. Is Graphiti the right choice for this or maybe just part of the solution? Are there any other frameworks that should be thought about? Do you have any other ideas, suggestions or questions?

Responses are very welcome,
Kind Regards,
Wouter

[Updated on: Mon, 13 January 2014 21:57]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Disable Image Decorators
Next Topic:Create a plugin for graphiti diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 06 13:13:36 GMT 2020