Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Difficulty upgrading to Eclipse Kepler on xfce ARM architecture - Chromebook
Difficulty upgrading to Eclipse Kepler on xfce ARM architecture - Chromebook [message #1230023] Fri, 10 January 2014 20:27 Go to next message
Aaron Carson is currently offline Aaron CarsonFriend
I own a Samsung ARM Chromebook XE303C12 and have installed linux xfce on it using Crouton. I believe it has a 64 bit ARM processor. I have installed Eclipse Indigo, Version: 3.7.2 through the Synaptic Package Manager and it works fine, amid a few random crashing issues.

I want to try out either Eclipse "Kepler" Standard 4.3.1 or Eclipse IDE for Java Developers to compare how they work with Eclipse "Indigo", and see if they are more stable. But, if I download the Linux 64-bit zip file for either and extract it, I cannot get the executable to run. I have read about specifying the JVM path in the Eclipse.ini file, but so far I haven't had luck with that either.

Eclipse 3.7.2 shows the following paths for my installed JDKs:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-armhf
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-openjdk-armhf

I noticed that in the functioning Eclipse.ini for 3.7.2, the plugins Launcher specifies a linux ARM distribution:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.2.0.dist.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.arm_1.0.200.dist
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx384m
-Dorg.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.dropins.directory=/usr/share/eclipse/dropins

My non-functioning Eclipse.ini file for Kepler-Java Developers does not specify for arm:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20130327-1440.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.200.v20130807-1835
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.appendVmargs
-vm
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-openjdk-armhf
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m

I am not sure if this is necessary or not; I downloaded both the Linux 32 bit and 64 bit and neither specify for ARM architecture. I searched for "Eclipse Kepler ARM" but couldn't find useful information on the subject. I tried copying the plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.arm_1.0.200.dist folder over and changing the Eclipse.ini folder, but it didn't help either.

Does anyone see what I am missing here? Is this plugin what is preventing me from running this version of Eclipse? Is there a version that will work on my architecture? When I run the executable, it doesn't appear to do anything. I am aware that if Eclipse is set up correctly it will run from any file location, even a flash drive. Any advice or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Difficulty upgrading to Eclipse Kepler on xfce ARM architecture - Chromebook [message #1231056 is a reply to message #1230023] Mon, 13 January 2014 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron Carson is currently offline Aaron CarsonFriend
Does anyone have an idea about this? Is there a way I can install the newest version of Eclipse on arm architecture? Am I missing something obvious here, or is it more complicated than that? Any help or guidance would be appreciated here on this subject, thank you.
Re: Difficulty upgrading to Eclipse Kepler on xfce ARM architecture - Chromebook [message #1231148 is a reply to message #1231056] Mon, 13 January 2014 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Eclipse.org neither builds nor tests Eclipse on ARM. You'll have to check with whomever provided the version you have now. For what it's worth, the Samsung Chromebook does not have a 64-bit ARM processor.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Difficulty upgrading to Eclipse Kepler on xfce ARM architecture - Chromebook [message #1451607 is a reply to message #1230023] Fri, 24 October 2014 03:27 Go to previous message
Heath Zumstein is currently offline Heath ZumsteinFriend
Sorry for necro, but I was wondering if you were able to resolve this issue. I'm also running ubuntu with xfce on an ARM chromebook.

I assume you used Ubuntu Software Center to install the version you had working. I noticed the same things you found in in the INI and tried some tweaks myself, playing around with different downloads of eclipse, but I can never get the .exe to do anything either.
Previous Topic:Compatible computer platforms...
Next Topic:Make sure all dependencies are open
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:00:47 GMT 2024