Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Force Top-level Coolbar Layout
Force Top-level Coolbar Layout [message #1225765] Mon, 30 December 2013 18:39
Ed Schwarz is currently offline Ed SchwarzFriend
I have a plugin-defined Product which does not (currently) define its own Application class (i.e. no custom implementation of IApplication). I am using some dynamic drop-down items in the main toolbar, defined in plugin.xml. I am building the Product using the Eclipse 4.3 (Kepler) platform.

At runtime, I would like the toolbar items to show which of the drop-down items are currently selected. For generic items, I use an icon, but for non-generic items I would like to show some identifying text. The identifying text is not always of the same length.

I am using an IElementUpdater to update the drop-down items and also the toolbar drop-down item. The coolbar/toolbar/trimbar does not re-layout; if the new text is too long, or I switch from text to icon, the toolbar re-renders and is empty - not even the drop-down arrow appears. My test team reports that the Drop-down tool item "disappears", which is a pretty good description of the experience.

Is there any way to force the main toolbar/coolbar/trimbar complex re-layout?

I have done some research and it seems that I might be able to do this by defining my own IApplication implementation and capturing the Coolbar/Toolbar manager using an ActionBarAdvisor subclass for later calls to layout(). This is a pretty heavyweight solution - is there any other?

[Updated on: Mon, 30 December 2013 23:43]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Command alternative for editorActions, RulerToggleBreakpointActionDelegate
Next Topic:Adding UI Elements at runtime
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:54:52 GMT 2024