Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » BIRT dimensional fidelity rendering to paper -- 1 inch margin that is really 1 inch(Hoping to stimulate discussion on how to make BIRT output more pixel perfect)
BIRT dimensional fidelity rendering to paper -- 1 inch margin that is really 1 inch [message #1220619] Thu, 12 December 2013 18:01
Larry Talley is currently offline Larry TalleyFriend
In my experience it has been challenging to get BIRT to produce dimensions accurately. My 1 inch margins were consistently about 7/8 inch. With some help from the Internet I eventually discovered that my problem was due to a configuration setting in my Windows printer definition that was causing the printer driver to scale my output to fit within the "printable area" margins of my printer. When I configure my printer definition for no margins then BIRT accurately produces the dimensions specified in the BIRT report design.

On my computer the printer configuration of interest is corrected as follows:

Open Start / Devices and Printers
Right Click on the printer of interest, in my case a Xerox printer, and choose Printing Preferences / Advanced / Image Options / Margins / None

I have also corrected the issue on a Hewlett Packard printer where the solution was to enable "Edge-to-edge printing", also in Printing Preferences / Advanced / Image Options.

Without studying a lot of other people's code, my assumption is that programs that want to provide dimensional fidelity (perhaps CAD programs?) probably have to interrogate the printer driver to determine the printable area, and then adjust their page model to accommodate the printable area so that the printer driver doesn't change the scaling when the output is rendered.

Perhaps BIRT already does this and I just don't know how to enable this feature?
Previous Topic:Export Report Dialog - Is there a way to change the order of the Export Formats?
Next Topic:multi-value cascading parameter can't dispaly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:05:53 GMT 2024