Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Scout Version Matrix(Scout Version Matrix)
Scout Version Matrix [message #1219418] Tue, 03 December 2013 17:45 Go to next message
João Rebelo is currently offline João RebeloFriend
Hi,

I'm quite new to Scout, but have a long codebase for RCP/JFace product.
I'm interested to know if I can have a shared codebase for web and desktop (mixing RAP and SWT mainly underneath Scout). This I believe is the main point!
And also, and more important, is there any version matrix between the technologies? (I've searched and haven't found this)

Something that would say if I should use RAP 1 or Rap 2, JFace versions to use, against each Scout version.

Regards
Re: Scout Version Matrix [message #1219659 is a reply to message #1219418] Thu, 05 December 2013 10:20 Go to previous message
Judith Gull is currently offline Judith GullFriend
Hi,

When you use Scout you have a shared codebase describing your UI Model in Java (e.g. forms, fields, etc.). The scout SWT and RAP plugins will then take care of the rendering, etc. Projects based on Scout usually have very little custom SWT or RAP specific code. Development using Scout Client model is in our opinion much easier and more efficient than writing RCP code directly.

So in your case having a large RCP/JFace codebase you would have to migrate your code in order to use Scout. Your could also integrate Scout into your existing application (scout runtime is just a set of plugins) and use it only for new or changed components.

The compatible versions for Scout are described here:

Scout 3.10: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Release/Luna#Target_Environment
Scout 3.9: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Scout/Release/Kepler#Target_Environment

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Judith

Previous Topic:Browser field error in RAP client
Next Topic:Init before login dialog box
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:31:34 GMT 2024