Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Set "core.excludesfile" outside, where does it appear in Egit?
Set "core.excludesfile" outside, where does it appear in Egit? [message #1192787] Sun, 17 November 2013 19:28 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I wanted to have a global ".gitignore" file, so I set the "core.excludesfile" property with "git config" on the command line. I see it in ~/.git/config, although not in ~/.gitconfig. I don't see this anywhere in the EGit configuration, however. Should this be visible anywhere?
Re: Set "core.excludesfile" outside, where does it appear in Egit? [message #1192809 is a reply to message #1192787] Sun, 17 November 2013 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Set in the global config if that's where you want it:

git config --global core.excludesfile <path>

You appear to have created a Git repository at the root of your HOME, or at least a .git directory, and then set the option there.

Re: Set "core.excludesfile" outside, where does it appear in Egit? [message #1203589 is a reply to message #1192809] Fri, 22 November 2013 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl Nicholas is currently offline Karl NicholasFriend
you can't run git -config from eclipse can you?
Re: Set "core.excludesfile" outside, where does it appear in Egit? [message #1205731 is a reply to message #1203589] Sat, 23 November 2013 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 'Properties' view gives you access to the config settings. A pulldown menu lets you choose the context: repository (i.e. local), global, and system. You can also show the effective values. The repository is based on the current selection in the 'Git Repositories' view

Both views are part of the 'Git' perspective, but of course you can also show them in other perspectives if you like.
Re: Set "core.excludesfile" outside, where does it appear in Egit? [message #1207551 is a reply to message #1205731] Sun, 24 November 2013 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should add that a bug in the Properties view was introduced, and reported, some time ago and still hasn't been fixed: the 'repository' context displays the effective configuration rather than the repository-specific/local configuration.

In other words the 'repository' display is now always identical to the the 'effective' display, and there is no way in EGit to see the local configuration.
Re: Set "core.excludesfile" outside, where does it appear in Egit? [message #1219072 is a reply to message #1207551] Sun, 01 December 2013 00:29 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
pushed fix for review, see the bug report https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=396659
Previous Topic:Compare with working tree
Next Topic:Package Explorer different from Git Repositories
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:26:53 GMT 2024