Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible?(Question concerning capabilities of the ETL and ECL languages )
Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible? [message #1170781] Mon, 04 November 2013 21:55 Go to next message
Alexander Fülleborn is currently offline Alexander FüllebornFriend
Hello folks,

I have the following scenario:

A ----(A to B' via manual development - B is developed as a reengineered model)-> B
|
|
(A to A'via ETL transformation)
|
|
V
A'---(transformation derived from "manual development rules" via e.g. ECL)------> B'

Explanation:
- model A that has been transformed by a ETL program to model A'
- model B is based on model A but manually been developed without automation/transformation scripts
- model B' needs to be the equivalent to B' and should be automatically generated

Question:
Is it possible to derive/extract the rules that have implicitly be applied to model A in order to get model B, by e.g. ECL? Furthermore, is it possible to generate a transformation out of these extracted rules?

I would be very much appreciate any helpful hints.

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Alexander
Re: Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible? [message #1180085 is a reply to message #1170781] Sun, 10 November 2013 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Alexander,

I'm afraid I don't fully understand this scenario. Could you please elaborate a bit more with a concrete example?

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible? [message #1185096 is a reply to message #1180085] Wed, 13 November 2013 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dimitris,

I am actually working on an example. However, as far as I can see from thinking about the details of that example I realize that I can put the question more simple:

Is it possible to analyze several (in my case 3) source models in order to do a transformation of elements from source model 1 to a target model 4 (depending on the results of the analysis of both 3 "source" models?

It would be great if that works...

Re: Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible? [message #1185179 is a reply to message #1185096] Wed, 13 November 2013 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Alexander,

Epsilon programs can operate on (read/write) an arbitrary number of models so in principle that should be possible. For example, the ETL transformation in [1] operates on 4 models (OO, DB, OO2DB and Trace).

Cheers,
Dimitris

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/examples/index.php?example=org.eclipse.epsilon.examples.oo2db

Re: Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible? [message #1186517 is a reply to message #1185179] Thu, 14 November 2013 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dimitris,

thanks for this good news (I think I read it also somewhere in the Epsilon book, but now I am really sure Wink).

Another question I have that is closely related to my scenario and to the question above is the following:

In model 1 I have an element (class "EmployeeSelector") that is transformed to a generic class that is called "Class 1" in Model 2.

The question is: How can I find out within another ETL module afterwards that class "EmployeeSelector" and class "Class 1" are related (especially that class "EmployeeSelector" is the source and that class "Class 1" is the target)? Does also the ETL transformation store a match

trace like in ECL that contains such information? Or do I need to explicitly work with UML trace dependencies (what I would like to avoid, if possible)?

Thanks a lot in advance and kind regards, Alexander
Re: Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible? [message #1192109 is a reply to message #1186517] Sun, 17 November 2013 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Alexander,

ETL also maintains a trace which you can export as a variable and reuse in subsequent programs in your workflow (see Section 13.5.3 of the Epsilon book).

Cheers,
Dimitris
Re: Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible? [message #1194704 is a reply to message #1192109] Mon, 18 November 2013 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dimitris,

thanks a lot for the information. Could you give me a little example within ETL how to store transformation data in a trace within a ETL module and then get/process this data in another ETL module? I have not found any example or other hints how to do this.

Re: Automatically derive and apply rules by model comparison possible? [message #1219621 is a reply to message #1194704] Thu, 05 December 2013 00:27 Go to previous message

Hi Alexander,

Apologies for the slow response. I've extended the OO2DB example [1] to demonstrate how a transformation trace can be exported and used by another Epsilon program (see the epsilon.etl/eol tasks in launch.xml). It may be useful to note that the transformation trace is an instance of the TransformationTrace class [2].

Cheers,
Dimitris

[1] https://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.epsilon/trunk/examples/org.eclipse.epsilon.examples.oo2db
[2] http://download.eclipse.org/epsilon/javadoc/org/eclipse/epsilon/etl/trace/TransformationTrace.html
Previous Topic:One model + ETL; multiple targets
Next Topic:Model transformation with ETL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:57:27 GMT 2024