Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Guidance on re-using Platform in RCP(Platform Runtime used as base RCP)
Guidance on re-using Platform in RCP [message #1162847] Wed, 30 October 2013 17:09
Gregg Stewart is currently offline Gregg StewartFriend
Hello All,

First, please excuse me if this is post is a little ignorant. I've been researching and Eclipse RCP development for well over a year. A lot of that time was trying to get P2 Install Software working under e4 application model, reviewing Lars Vogel's book and his other tutorials as well as the "OSGI and Equinox" book. I am at a point where I would really appreciate guidance from the experts.

My initial thought was to develop an Eclipse RCP application from scratch and add some features that I wanted to make available in the default app (for example: platform for its workbench and minimal set of file/project resources, Equinox/P2, maybe Mylyn).

I also wanted to keep the RCP Application pure e4 since I'm building it from scratch and preferred to minimize future porting problems.

With all of this being said I just stumbled upon the Platform Runtime Binary. And it looks like a perfect place to start (if it was ok to rebrand it, add some in house developed features, and repackage). This brings me to the following questions:
a. Is the source for the Platform Runtime Binary available?
b. Is it pure e4?
c. If it is not pure e4, do the benefits of using this established platform and possibly having to port things later on outweigh trying to build a comparable pure e4 RCP application?
d. Are there any high level tips/keywords that you can share with me in pursuing a pure e4 comparable RCP application (trying to define it via the application model)?
e. If the source/projects is available somewhere is it ok to rebrand, customize, and repackage? I'm not sure if all packages available on eclipse.org (or in its git repository) have the same licensing.
f. If it is not pure e4 then maybe someone can guide me finding out whether or not its being worked on, eta, and what I should do to inquire about possibly contributing.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

-Gregg

Previous Topic:Creating e4 RCP splash screen plug-in
Next Topic:RCP Export Problems MacOSX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:49:07 GMT 2024