Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] Code Review for a faster Horizontal Mapping (BIS)
[CDO] Code Review for a faster Horizontal Mapping (BIS) [message #1143582] Fri, 18 October 2013 09:32 Go to next message
Christophe MOINE is currently offline Christophe MOINEFriend
Dear All,

We've been working on a new mapping strategy (with MySQL) to fix performance issues on 0-* references. It seems to work so far, but has a few drawbacks:
- It works only with containment features and the order is then not garanted (We rely on the cdo_containment column instead of the A_B_list table) For other features, we simply delegate to the standard mapping strategy.
- The type of the containment feature must not be too generic. The more it is generic, the more table/cdo_contaiment we need to check

The advantages are the following:
- We don't bother with the order of containment feature which seriously improve performances.
- Remove redunduncy between A_B_list and the cdo_containment column if we don't mind about order (we have a few of DB corruption, this is less to repair then)
- Using the cdo_contament instead of the A_B_list is simply more Relationnal DB compliant in my point of view.

We would like to port this principle for non containment features, but this is more tricky. We would need an additionnal column (equivalent to cdo_containment) to replace the A_B_list table.

We haven't done serious benchmarking so far even if the gain is notifiable. I can try to do that if you are interested with this. We will investigate with foreign keys to check if performance can be further improved.

Before sending this into production, we would appreciate a lot some code review on the NonAuditListTableMapping2 especially.

Thank you in advance for your comments,

Cheers,

Christophe.
Re: [CDO] Code Review for a faster Horizontal Mapping (BIS) [message #1184112 is a reply to message #1143582] Wed, 13 November 2013 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

I've made a new version, we found subtiles bugs in production:
- Chuncking was not working correctly
- The only way I've found to make everything more efficient, I simply consider the EType for multiple containing EReference: I do not consider sub classes. Otherwise it is too troublesome to handle in the chunk reader AND it is not efficient in a performance point of view.

Cheers,

Christophe.
Re: [CDO] Code Review for a faster Horizontal Mapping (BIS) [message #1184196 is a reply to message #1184112] Wed, 13 November 2013 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi Christoph,

Please submit an enhancement request in bugzilla and attach patches there. Then let's continue the discussion there.

Note that you can also push changes to Gerrit for easier reviews.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Am 13.11.2013 09:26, schrieb Christophe MOINE:
> Hi all,
>
> I've made a new version, we found subtiles bugs in production:
> - Chuncking was not working correctly
> - The only way I've found to make everything more efficient, I simply consider the EType for multiple containing EReference: I do not consider sub classes. Otherwise it is too troublesome to handle in the chunk reader AND it is not efficient in a performance point of view.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christophe.

Re: [CDO] Code Review for a faster Horizontal Mapping (BIS) [message #1185750 is a reply to message #1184196] Thu, 14 November 2013 08:41 Go to previous message
Hi Eike,

I've created the bug:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=421705

Sorry for not doing it before.

Cheers.
Previous Topic:[RESOLVED][CDO] Importing a model with sequential commits
Next Topic:Contributing to Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:26:11 GMT 2024